Recommended tube heaters for fermenting fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm Spargetacus!

Reaction score
Evening, I'm after some recommendations on a good tube heater setup in a fermenting fridge. I've adapted an old fridge to work for me, with an inline stc. Heating comes from a brewbelt at the sec. All good. but want something more effective and efficient to keep the space temperate in the winter.

Got a decent space at the front floor, forward of the ledge created by the condenser. Will look to wire whatever I get back thru the fridge drain hole, and in to said stc.

Any recommendations from own efforts, projects or experiences will be appreciated.

Ta,
Spargetacus

Attachments

• 20200725_114356.jpg
    20200725_114356.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 112
If the heat belt is working why change? The fridge,once at temp will hardly change,maybe a degree or two warmer as fermentation kicks off,even if your fridge is out in the garage.
If you really need to buy one mine came from Toolstation and cost under £20.

Hey Clint. Guess that's part of the question really. I'm anticipating a tube heater to be more efficient and effective at getting the fridge up to temp, and holding it there. than the belt around the FV (30 litre plastic job, for 23 litre batches). Might be overthinking it.

To give it some more context, it's out in a conservatory (only place I could put it) so it's been on cool the whole time as that rooms been roasting. But I'm expecting quite the opposite for the winter.

I got a 45 watt tube heater from Amazon. Had it for over 4 years now. Works perfectly. Wires go through the drain hole to an Inkbird 308. I have the tube heater on the floor, no fans and the thermometer just dangles in the air. The Inkbird maintains a steady temperature without constant cycling between heating and cooling.

I find you chill the wort to ferm temp or as close as you can,put your temp probe under a lump of sponge taped to your fermentor,it'll get a more stable reading so the fridge or heater will be less inclined to cycle. If the wort is too hot the fridge will kick in and vice versa..once at temp the fridge insulation as well as the thermal mass of the wort, will stabilise everything. My fridge or heater don't cycle on/off regardless of the outside temp.

I've got two, one in a fermentation fridge, one in my Kegorator. One came from eBay, the other from Toolstation. Both have been fine. I'd probably go for Toolstation if I built another one, just because of the convenience.

Last edited:
I bought my heater online from Superlec Direct.....I wanted one without the integral thermostat as one of my fridges is too narrow for the type with thermostat.

If you are going through the drain hole (I do that ) make sure the cable dips into the evaporating tray on top of the compressor before routing it vertically, that forms a "drip loop" so that any condensation that flows through the drain hole goes where it should rather than dripping off the wiring behind the fridge.

I bought my heater online from Superlec Direct.....I wanted one without the integral thermostat as one of my fridges is too narrow for the type with thermostat.

Yup, I got the same one, a neater job and also bought the inkbird, so no worries about the lack of thermostat on the heater. Very pleased with the setup, so easy to set up and use.

Attachments

• 0E2EF4A1-E2AB-4785-BA16-EAC90C6E28E7.jpeg
    0E2EF4A1-E2AB-4785-BA16-EAC90C6E28E7.jpeg
    25.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 712EF91C-63D6-4FB1-A06A-115E67E1BB5A.jpeg
    712EF91C-63D6-4FB1-A06A-115E67E1BB5A.jpeg
    14.7 KB · Views: 153
  • B5F4310A-85FF-48EC-9D0B-034905166FEB.jpeg
    B5F4310A-85FF-48EC-9D0B-034905166FEB.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 59542E7C-DBF5-41C0-BC9D-3435A479325B.jpeg
    59542E7C-DBF5-41C0-BC9D-3435A479325B.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 157
Just used the cheapest one I could find on eBay that was 40/60W and 1ft long. There's really not much too them, just a coil of wire in a metal tube. Just found the details for the last one I bought, cost £14.10

One thing to watch out for is the internal thermostat, which will stop heating above a certain level. Some have quite a low threshold of 20C which is a pain if you want to do a Kveik or indeed if you just want to bump up the temp to 21 or 22 at the end of the brew

so sorry for being dumb, and a n00b, what and why do you do this in a fridge? 🧐

It helps to keep fermentation temperature steady. If you have a day when it's 35 outside, then a day when it's raining and 17 outside, your wort temp is going to fluctuate significantly. If you can put it into a fridge set at 19 degrees, problem solved.

People use fridges because they insulate well.

Latest posts

Back