Recycling: Rustic Beer Crates (with pics)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianTrace

Reaction score
Demolished a built in wardrobe that turned out to be an ex-airing cupboard, leaving me a stack of wood. Not being one to let this go to waste, I worked out I could make 6 16-bottle crates from them, to try to tidy up my current beer "storage" area. The plastic bags are causing a bit of damp... or at least holding it there:
IMG_20160117_160435_zpstodn8nx7.jpg

Wood:
IMG_20160116_155252_zpssjftizum.jpg

Cut to size:
IMG_20160116_172640_zps6pxfphwt.jpg

The first crate:
IMG_20160117_144852_zpsafsdpobc.jpg

The bottles fit in like this (13" x 11" area):
IMG_20160117_160630_zpslieycusm.jpg

Next crate (part built to show interlocking):
IMG_20160117_153000_zpsszkbympd.jpg

Second crate complete (the top one is taller in case I get oversize bottles):
IMG_20160117_160940_zpslt7mnomf.jpg

I managed 4 and a bit today, so another evening this week and this should be even tidier :) Sort out the damp a bit :-?:
IMG_20160117_210225_zpskj7qknpq.jpg

They're definitely built to last! Well done. :thumb: :thumb:

As a matter of interest, have you been married long enough to understand that sometime in the next month or so there may well be a conversation that starts "I don't have enough room for my clothes!"?? :whistle:

Nice!

I'm a fan of finding a new purpose for what some deem as scrap.

My wine bottle store is some Ikea furniture that someone was chucking out. I asked, they said take what you like.

Sorted!

Good work. Sand it down, stain it, and etch a MK1 on it ;-)

Cheers Dutto - We have her family's antique mahogany wardrobe to go in the alcove next to the chimney breast where this built in thing was. since we moved in the wardrobe has been in front of the chimney breast taking up half the room (the chest of drawers takes up the other alcove) so she wanted this gone... it had no decent hanging space anyway :)

brumbrew - sand down? stain? etch? those things are Done, man. Finished :lol:

Good idea with the blackboard paint, cheers :thumb: As for getting the lower down bottles out, it's a case of restacking :)

Anyway, the final two are done, all bags away and cornies moved in. I just need another 3 (or 10) for all the empty bottles spread around out of shot :whistle:
IMG_20160118_205944_zps1gpzfdvk.jpg

sand down? stain? etch? those things are Done, man. Finished [emoji38]

Arghh! No! It's activating my OCD! You gotta paint or sand them dude. Or at least paint the woody bits white so it all matches!

You managed to sort your bottle storage for much less than I paid! I have a load of these stacked up in the garage. My brew is in clear 2l fizzy bottles and I can fit 12 bottles in each box. They were all I could find that would be strong enough to stack and still block out the light from the clear plastic.

Back