Red and White currant.

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Bill W

Reaction score
I picked 3 1/4 lbs of redcurrants and whitecurrants from our bushes this evening, about 70% red and 30% white. Stripped them off their twiggy things and poured a gallon of boiling water over them in a fermenting bucket.
The recipe says leave the bucket in a cool place for a week and don't worry if there is mould on top of the must. Now I don't like the sond of mould, so I've crushed up a campden tablet and stirred it in. Hopefully, that will keep mould at bay.

trummy

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Set 12lb of red currant soaking on Sunday -Have had some great success with R/C wine. Even gave a bottle as a wedding present once!
Do you freeze the currants first? Much easier to get the juice out.

Bill W

Reaction score
Set 12lb of red currant soaking on Sunday -Have had some great success with R/C wine. Even gave a bottle as a wedding present once!
Do you freeze the currants first? Much easier to get the juice out.
That's reassuring that you've had good success. If mine turns out good enough for a wedding present, I'll be well pleased.
I've not frozen the currants. The recipe just calls for boiling water, a stir and leave for a week. Coincidentally, just after I set them to soak, my neighbour told me to help myself to his currants too, so I might give freezing a go with the next batch. Thanks for the tip.

Guzzie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked 3kg of white and 3kg of red over the last week and put them in the freezer until September. I don't like the thought of mould so I pour boiling water over the fruit and leave to cool before adding a campden tablet and then 24hrs later add the yeast etc. Don't know about the red currant wine but the white currant wine takes time to mature. We have just started drinking last year's white currant wine.

trummy

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Added the yeast today - its started bubbling. I always freeze first now - the fruit breaks down so much easier. The currants I have used are those from last year that didn't make it into a fruit pie. Started to load up the freezer with this years crop -been a good year.
I do find that the redcurrant does tend to lose its colour if kept too long so we start drinking it at about six months old

Bill W

Reaction score
I picked another 3 1/4lbs of redcurrants this evening and de-twigged them before putting them in the freezer. I don't have many demijohns, so I'll do them a gallon at a time. There's probably another couple of gallons-worth left out there to pick.

Bill W

Reaction score
Strained the juice off the currants this evening. No mould on top of the must, so adding the campden tablet has worked.
Had a bit of a faff straining it, as I only had the wife's jelly bag, which is smaller than my buckets and has a rigid circular rim at the top. First attempt resulted in currants jumping out the top when I tried to squeeze the last knockings out of the must. Take 2, the bag now had a coating of berry pulp, so it took ages for the juice to flow through. Got there in the end though, then added the sugar. Took the O.G. at 1.100. Added the pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient and pitched the yeast. I'm using the Brewbitz recipe, so It will get a stir daily for 3 days, then 4 more days in the bucket before syphoning off into the demijohn to finish fermenting.
Hopefully, my large straining bags will arrive before they are needed for the next batch.

Latest posts