Red Wine Concentrate Substitute

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got to be worth a go at that price... I was just about to order a red kit as well. Worst case the first 23l isn't great, can always add the powder to kits for some oomph.

I just ordered 1 bag red, 1 bag white and their own yeast, nutrient, stabilizer and finings. Will report back once I have these brewed and bottled.

Hope they are decent as should work out about 35p / bottle.

realised I forgot about sugar.... any recommendations what to use? and best place to buy in bulk?

Cheers

Best price I've found for dextrose delivered is from here:

http://www.scobiesdirect.com/Products.asp?sMethod=Search&txtCriteria=dextrose

It was only �£5 delivery and arrived quickly.

I also use T&L from Tesco for fruit based wines (especially if using apple juice).

Forgot to mention, if you order two sacks delivery is free. 50kg should last most people quite a while and make one or two batches!

Tate & Lyle it is then... gonna keep it cheap and see how good it turns out. If it goes well Ill make another with some fruit additions. Unfortunately gonna have to wait a week or so to get started

Well I live on an Island and though we do have a couple of supermarkets i quite often cant get single flavour fruit juices let alone red or white grape juice. Im definitely interested in grape powder but not if its packed full of preservatives. Will investigate. - many thanks for post and link. :)

Looking at the ebay shop, there are some very interesting items at very reasonable prices. Hopefully my red grape powder will arrive over the weekend.

I might be being a little over dramatic, but the ability to 'add grape' to WOWs and foraged fruit wines without adding sugar or litres of extra liquid will, I think, dramatically change the way we look at making these brews.

Then again, it might be a load of **** and I shall deny I said any of the above.:lol:

I know, mine arrived today and I getting a bit giddy already. I'm going "all in" and doing about 21.5 litre with 500gm of powder and 4kg sugar. 21.5l as I want 20litre of finished product for 4 x 5l bag in box

I got some more delivered the other day (red and white) and it came with red grape skin extract, 2 packs of yeast and 2 packs of nutrient included.

Can't complain.

I have been watching this thread with interest and i am going to order the red over the weekend. I am also going to add some oak chips and see what happens. Feeling quite excited to do something different from kit wines.

mine also came with yeast and nutrient.. neither were mentioned on eBay so I'm treating as a bonus.

Mine too. I ordered yeast and nutrient but got some with the powders too. I started a red today - 500g powder, 4Kg white sugar, top up to 21L (supposed to use 550g powder for 23 L so decided to go a little short using half a pack), yeast nutrient and their own yeast. Thought Id just do a simple one following their instructions then maybe play about a bit with other fruits.

The colour looks good and it smells good tho a little like mulled wine. Once SG hits about 1010 Ill rack into secondary then clear.

I also got some grape skin extract which I didnt order. It says it can be added to the finished product to alter the colour. I might just throw this into the secondary if it is not looking as red as Id like

yes I also got that. not sure I'm too bothered about the colour but I guess people's perception of a solid red is a deep colour so I may add it for effect

Mine is bubbling away nicely at 24C in my brewfridge, using the supplied yeast and nutrient. Im now thinking of buying the mango wine powder from them and making a mango moskato from it, around 5% and carbing in 500mL beer bottles.

I started a 6 bottle Beaverdale Cab Sauv last night and added approx 100g of red wine powder to it. I think the Beaverdale kits are excellent as they are but it will be interesting to see if what amounts to a £1.70 addition, will take it up to the next level.

Back