Redbush (Rooibos) tea infused wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie_asg1

Reaction score
Interesting article.
Basically using rooibos (redbush) tea and wood in standard wines. They are patenting the process....but doesn't affect us homebrewers!
Seems it may skip the step of adding sulphites for those who are allergic to them.

Clicky linky ;)

Ya got to love an article on health benefits of avoiding preservatives that notes they were spraying the vines... (yeah i know there are genuine reasons for so doing but also note the amount of 'routine' spraying that goes on - still using bordeaux?)

I noticed that too.
I think it's a bit unfair trying to patent the process of adding that particular thing to wine. But it only lasts 10 years protection anyway - then the price to keep the patent rises sharply. Eventually it doesn't make economic sense to carry on. It may still say patented as an artefact but is not legally covered if anyone else wants to copy it. I think they just got scammed by patent lawyers.
I only read about it because Rooibos wine is a thing anyway - I've just kicked one off adding 2 lemon and ginger tea bags.......maybe I could patent that! :laugh8:

You could but I've already got the patent for adding lemon and ginger tea bags, so you're busted.
I'll expect a cheque in the post....

Latest posts

Back