Redcurrant Wine Still Fermenting After 4 Months!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I rarely make wine but this year made some redcurrant wine back in mid July since we had the glut of redcurrants.
I basically followed this recipe
https://www.brewbitz.com/pages/redcurrant-wine-recipeI used CML red wine yeast and the OG was about 1.100.
After 10 days in the fermenting bucket I transferred to some makeshift demijohns (repurposed milk containers) and then left it to get on with things. About 6-8 weeks ago it appeared to have stopped so I took an SG reading and found it was only about 1.014, against an expectation of 1.000 or just above. The nice people at CML suggested I tried rousing which I did, but that made little difference so in the end they kindly sent me some more yeast., since their expectation for their yeast was 12-13% not 11% or thereabouts.
Anyway the wine is now fermenting slowly again as it has been for about a month, but its now four months on in total, so the question is, is this normal for country wines?

I think a lot of recipes just have you leave it for months with no checking. My country wines take longer than beer but I expect the FG to reach 0.995 when they still have a little sweetness left. Yours had a 'holiday' so it wasn't actually fermenting for the whole four months. I'm surprised you managed to kick start it again. I have never managed it. I hope you like the end result!

That recipe seems a lot of work! I boil my fruit in water for ten minutes and then strain. Once cool enough to pitch I add the sugar to the demijohn and pour the juice in. No need to stir - the sugar will dissolve over the next 24 hours. I add some pectolase to a small cup of warm water and add that. Then I sprinkle on some yeast compound which contains nutrients. Fermentation starts in less than 12 hours at about 24C. I just leave it for two weeks and then test the SG.

Latest posts

Back