Refractometer focus

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hop_it

Regular.
Reaction score
For several years of using a refractometer to check approx. OG readings I have struggled to read the result clearly because the numbers and the scale were always slightly blurred. I put it down to my failing eyesight, so I squinted and soldiered on. Anyway, today I discovered something which may well leave me open to some ridicule by those that already know, but might just help some homebrewers who like me didn't know. I discovered that the eyepiece on my refractometer has a focus adjustment. I was drying it after taking a reading, and just happened to twist the black rubber eyepiece. I doesn't look like it would turn, and it doesn't have a scale on it, but it is like the focus correction on one side of a pair of binoculars. I imagine that most (if not all) refractometers have the same feature.
I hope that this helps a few people, particularly those that have to wear glasses, and cannot use them when they take a reading . . . . . . . You might say that it was a real eyeopener :tinhat:

you really should have saved that post until 1st April!!!

it would have had us all guessing!!!

Back