Refractometer versus Hydrometer advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to get too complicated with the refractometer. When I take my OG prior to fermentation with the hydrometer I also note the reading from the refractometer. Enter these both in a free online calculator and this will give you a calibration figure of close to 1.00.
Every time you take a new refractometer reading once alcohol is present just enter the OG reading, new reading and calibration figure.
One such calculator is here:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/
Thanks - bookmarked that one

Some folks just like to make stuff complicated under the illusion that what they are doing is better, when in reality it mostly isn't.
Guilty ✋
When I began doing ag I assumed it must be a very very complicated process and if the pro brewers were doing it and I was reading about it I absolutely had to do it or else all my investment in time and ingredients would certainly produce nothing but drain-flush. Turns out beer is quite robust and if you get the basics right you will still brew pretty darn good beer. Sure if you're entering a big prize competition you might want to be very careful with your process to get the final 'polish' on your brew, but if your brewing for yourself and friends you can afford to ease up on the hardcore details and actually enjoy a more relaxed and simpler brew day. Its a hobby. Its supposed to be fun! 🍻

Latest posts

Back