Refractometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"then you can use a standard hydrometer to get an accurate fg if you don't want to do the calculations."

A hydrometer is inaccurate for the same reasons a refactometer is - the presence of alcohol affects the FG, but the inaccuracy in both cases is small and should not affect us amateur brewers. Note that commercial brewers in the UK have to submit samples of their beers annually to determine accurately their ABVs.

I think what I was trying to get to. Is there a place to buy an accurate hydrometer. These were cheap from the same local home brew shop. I was wondering if there was one available that was guaranteed to be calibrated properly?

I think what I was trying to get to. Is there a place to buy an accurate hydrometer. These were cheap from the same local home brew shop. I was wondering if there was one available that was guaranteed to be calibrated properly?
HOW ABOUT THIS and whilst there take a look around the site, they have some good stuff, I bought a very accurate thermometer from them, had an issued with it and they are replacing no questions asked, great customer service.

Polcho - why do you need such accuracy ? If a beer is 3.76 or more accurately 3.81 is this a concern ?

I was wondering the same thing to be honest, but with all advice of doing math to convert a refractometer reading, I got the impression that it was super important. Just learning here 😊

I was wondering the same thing to be honest, but with all advice of doing math to convert a refractometer reading, I got the impression that it was super important. Just learning here 😊

No math required. After fermentation, take the reading from the refractometer and punch it into an online calc and it will spit out the final gravity, correcting for the presence of alcohol.

I think as homebrewers we can be a bit guilty of over-complicating things.

Speaking of over-complicating things, I've still not been able to find a final gravity hydrometer in the UK. Normal hydrometers are fine, but the scale is bloody tiny.

I've got an old one that only does beer, it's much easier to read than the normal one that does wine as well.
It's calibrated at 15c.
Couldn't tell you where I got it, would've come in some second hand gear at some time.

I've got an old one that only does beer, it's much easier to read than the normal one that does wine as well.
It's calibrated at 15c.
Couldn't tell you where I got it, would've come in some second hand gear at some time.

Quite a few American sites do the 0.980-1.020 scale ones. They look perfect for FG readings. I'm relatively young and have good eyesight. God knows how all the auld duffers read the normal hydrometers.

Being an auld duffer or more accurately an old buffer :laugh8: I take a picture with my phone and enlarge it.
3BA7C781-C558-4194-AEB6-891AACB71EFE.jpeg

Nice idea with the photo I must try that, I wish my cheap plastic sample tube hadn't gone opaque, I could do with a glass one.

Nice idea with the photo I must try that, I wish my cheap plastic sample tube hadn't gone opaque, I could do with a glass one.
I fill my (slightly opaque plastic) tube so that when the hydrometer goes in it overflows slightly so the beer surface is slightly above the tube rim cos of the meniscus and you get a good view of the hydrometer/beer meniscus.

If you want a precision, short range hydrometer, try googling 'saccharometer'. You can find them with scales as small as 10 gravity points (eg. 1.000 to 1.010), but you may find that you need a lager measuring cylinder and expect to pay north of £40.

Since the two hydrometer I have read totally different. I think I’ll get a refractometer and find a program that can sit on the phone.

What are they in? I'm assuming water, but what temp? Normally the hydrometer is calibrated at 25degC. So if you put it in water at 25degC it should read 1.000. That should help you decide which one to believe. I'd suggest you then check it at a known SG using DME.

Everyone I have seen has been calibrated to 20C.

Since the two hydrometer I have read totally different. I think I’ll get a refractometer and find a program that can sit on the phone.
I wouldn't expect to get more accurate results from a refractometer, quite the contrary in my experience. A hydrometer is absolutely 100% reliable you just need to calibrate it, the fact that two may read differently should not be of concern, just calibratew each one and use the one you prefer.

Back