Regulator help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscar Mild

Reaction score
Hi, i`ve just started brewing again and need a little help with fittings for a mini regulator. I`m looking for a barbed fitting for this regulator but, don`t know the type of thread needed and where to get it, the disconnects fit it directly but i want to put a 3/8 pipe on it. Does anyone know where i can get a barbed fitting please. TIA.

Attachments

• 20210513_164328.jpg
    20210513_164328.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210508_193438.jpg
    20210508_193438.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 55
I know you said you wanted barbed fittings, but I also needed a short length of 3/8 on my mini regulator so I got a 1/4 (I think) male threaded to 3/8 John Guest pushfit. This achieves the same thing, albeit with pushfit instead of barbed.
Something like this John Guest 3/8" to 1/4" BSP PI011212S | The Malt Miller
I'm not 100% sure if that is the one I got. It's in the loft so can check tomorrow when I am up there.

More photos.

Attachments

• 20210518_205844.jpg
    20210518_205844.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210518_205828.jpg
    20210518_205828.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210518_205718.jpg
    20210518_205718.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 42
The male thread that is 1/4" OD is NOT 1/4" BSP. It's NOT 1/8"BSP either (10.4 mm/ 0.4" OD). Regulators this size in my experience have either 1/8" BSP or 1/8" NPT ports. Is the brass fitting that's in the regulator a brass nut or a fitting that's screwed into the body?
The fitting is screwed into the reg, its a tapered thread.

If you can remove it from the body and measure it's OD and count the number of threads per inch (or 1/4" then times by 4 to get TPI) my guess is it's 1/8" BSP.
Edit: 1/8" BSP 10.2 mm OD and 28 TPI.
1/8" NTP 10.3 mm OD and 27 TPI.

Last edited:
Hello,

Take the second brass adapter off. Then use this fitting Beer Storage and Dispense - Keg / Kegerator Taps and Fittings - John Guest 3/8 to 1/4 Fitting - The Malt Miller | The Malt Miller But, this is the important bit, cut the taper off with something like a junior hacksaw, smith on an emery board and you will have the perfect fitment, push fit direct to 3/8 gas line.
If you buy the part from and add a note to the order I will take the taper off for you.

Just to add, the easiest way to remove the second brass fitting is to screw in a disconnect then undo both together.

Hello,

Take the second brass adapter off. Then use this fitting Beer Storage and Dispense - Keg / Kegerator Taps and Fittings - John Guest 3/8 to 1/4 Fitting - The Malt Miller | The Malt Miller But, this is the important bit, cut the taper off with something like a junior hacksaw, smith on an emery board and you will have the perfect fitment, push fit direct to 3/8 gas line.
If you buy the part from and add a note to the order I will take the taper off for you.
That's the one I have!

Hello,

Why does the taper have to be taken off? It doesn't mention this in the product description.
Maybe that's why I am getting through the 16g bulbs quicker than expected.

Why does the taper have to be taken off? It doesn't mention this in the product description.
Maybe that's why I am getting through the 16g bulbs quicker than expected.
The brass part that you you screw the JG fitting into has a flat face, the JG fitting is tapered. JG don't do a fitting purpose made for this.
It's not in the product description as it is not sold for this purpose.
If you use it without taking the taper off it may well seal for a while as the white washer within the brass fitting is quite soft but, you run the risk of the fitting breaking quite easily if it gets knocked.

The brass part that you you screw the JG fitting into has a flat face, the JG fitting is tapered. JG don't do a fitting purpose made for this.
It's not in the product description as it is not sold for this purpose.
If you use it without taking the taper off it may well seal for a while as the white washer within the brass fitting is quite soft but, you run the risk of the fitting breaking quite easily if it gets knocked.
Thanks for that, it's good to know. I'll get out my hacksaw!
The product description does specifically refer to use with the mini CO2 regulators though.

Latest posts

Back