Regulator pressure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karlt

Reaction score
Evening all
After some advice and hopefully one of you guys can answer my question.
So, I have just used for the first time a corny keg.
I have filled with beer and put into my kegerator.
I have a mini co2 regulator hooked up to a soda stream co2 bottle and have set the regulator to 12psi. After a few hours I have noticed the psi drop by about 5psi. I have done a leak test and tightened up all connections, with no leaks visible, but the psi still drops after time. So do I have a dud regulator or is the beer absorbing the co2 and as the temp drops would I expect to see the psi drop as well?
If I then up the psi and set to 20, vent the keg, so it drops to 10 psi, the regulator then adds co2 back up to the 20 mark, so it looks like the regulator is working.......confused.

Evening all
After some advice and hopefully one of you guys can answer my question.
So, I have just used for the first time a corny keg.
I have filled with beer and put into my kegerator.
I have a mini co2 regulator hooked up to a soda stream co2 bottle and have set the regulator to 12psi. After a few hours I have noticed the psi drop by about 5psi. I have done a leak test and tightened up all connections, with no leaks visible, but the psi still drops after time. So do I have a dud regulator or is the beer absorbing the co2 and as the temp drops would I expect to see the psi drop as well?
If I then up the psi and set to 20, vent the keg, so it drops to 10 psi, the regulator then adds co2 back up to the 20 mark, so it looks like the regulator is working.......confused.
You've just answered your own question,yup its the beer absorbing the CO2

Cheers Godsdog, thought that might be the case, but being the first time of using a keg I thought I had missed something

Hi!
I force carb my Cornies by connecting the gas bottle and leaving for a couple of weeks.
The pressure will drop if the CO2 source is turned off - the beer absorbs the gas from the headspace and it is not being replaced from the CO2 bottle.
If the CO2 source is connected continuously then the regulator will pass gas into the keg as the pressure in the headspace drops as the beer absorbs CO2 - there should be no drop in pressure in the system overall.

If you fill a spray bottle with fairy liquid and water. Spray that over any joints or potential leak points. That will show you if you have a leak.

Thanks for all the replies.....
The keg has no chilled down and the psi is rock steady.
Just hope my patience hold out as very tempted to pull a pint off.

Latest posts

Back