Rehydrating Dry Yeast.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never made a starter as it's a bit of a faff but I have rehydrated a couple of times it only takes a few minutes and it does speed up fermentation starting having said that 99% of the time I simply throw the yeast in and give it a stir and I have never had a wine stall or fail.

I have had one wine fail about 30yrs ago,By accidentally switching off the heater overnight (during winter.)
Causing a classic stuck ferment.

There is no reason why just pitching the yeast in should not work, Especially with a kit as the supplied juice should be sterile anyway.
So a bit of a lag to get going should be neither here or there.

Tried this the other day, I had half a packet of cider yeast in the fridge - so I warmed a small amount of apple juice in the microwave and sprinkled the contents of the packet over the liquid. Gave it a couple of hours, could see and hear signs of fermentation starting so I pitched. Got a very active ferment going very quickly, I'm sold on this, at least re-hydrating in a small sample of must (possibly dilute depending on case).

Previously always used to dump a packet of yeast in and shake vigorously. The DJ not myself.

Latest posts

Back