Rehydrating Dry Yeast.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you have never tried this give it a go you'll be surprised what a difference it makes.
(not to be confused with making a yeast starter)

In the video he suggests using water at 105F (40C) i was a bit wary of such a high temperature so made mine to 25c and it worked.

That is a lot of reading and I will be honest I didn't read it so I am not sure if it says rehdrating is worth the effort or nor all I know is when I have done it in the past it made a huge difference to how fast fermentation started and finished so for me it's well worth doing and you can do it as you go through the sanitising process so it doesn't make brew day any longer.

+1 for rehydration, I normally use 1/4 boiling water from kettle (you can use hot wort) and top up with bottled water until temperature is 30 - 35°C. Pitch yeast, cover, leave for 15 mins, swirl, leave, pitch into cooled wort

Recommended rehydration temperatures can be frightening and I balk at 40C, too. It's important not to attempt rehydration with cold water, though, as this can have an adverse effect on the yeast. I think it ought to be done with water rather than wort otherwise there's no advantage to just sprinkling the yeast on the beer.
Edit:
The video above explains how, here's a link that says why. Note the temperatures are in Fahrenheit:
https://homebrewanswers.com/rehydrating-dry-yeast/

Last edited:
I always follow the advice of the yeast provider, as I was given 500 gram of CN-36, Angel, who advocate re hydration but NO aeration that is what I do. Another point is when re hydrating not to have on a stir plate for anymore than 5 or 10 minutes, or shake to vigorously with the dry yeasts we are using now.

I used to rehydrate yeast but never bother anymore. I seem to get perfectly good results just sprinkling the dry yeast on the surface, not stirred in as the surface is the place where there's most oxygen. In fact doing this I seem to get a much quicker start to fermentation, possibly because rehydrated yeast is mixed into the wort where there's very little oxygen.

I used to rehydrate yeast but never bother anymore. I seem to get perfectly good results just sprinkling the dry yeast on the surface, not stirred in as the surface is the place where there's most oxygen. In fact doing this I seem to get a much quicker start to fermentation, possibly because rehydrated yeast is mixed into the wort where there's very little oxygen.
That’s the complete opposite of my experience. My lag times are significantly lower when I rehydrate, especially with the Mangrove Jacks yeasts.

After watching the vid and scanning that document I have a number of thoughts to share despite no practical experience of the options.
1) comment on vid re sprinkling dry yeast directly claims higher cell death rate that when reydrated first. That doesn't make rational sense since you are sprinkling it either way. If true you'ld need some other factors in play or the vid 'cheats' by not making fair comparisons: temp, access to air, stir v non-stir perhaps. Since advice is one can use hot wort then the wort itself shouldn't be the limiting factor.
2) Any benefit to prior hydration can only be by retaining more active living cells than using it dry and directsince yeast replication rate is double every 90mins average you'ld have to be losing 3/4 of the original cell mass to delay your fement by more than 3-4hrs - which you wouldn't really notice.
3) Comment in the article about benefit of hoppy wort to keep other microorganisms suppressed probably accounts for advice to only rehydrate first for 30-odd mins total. Factors I haven't looked up include effectiveness of campden tabs to suppress bacteria in wine making and how fast the first few % alcohol is produced and what % is required to supress those bacteria.
4)Rehydration of cells is a case of osmosis - fluid movement through a semi-permeable membrane (like soaking dried beans or prunes etc) here the cell wall is the membrane and speed of osmosis is based on the relative concentrations of fluids each side (osmotic pressure) - so the more dilute the fluid you hydrate in the faster the process except that without substrate any cell replication will be limited to reserves held within the cells. You might activate them quicker but you won't get many iterations of replication.... but then again you won't in 30 mins anyway.
5) Q10 - this is a general expression for chemical processes stating that for every 10C rise in temp chemical processes double in speed (assuming factors such as exothermic reactions have heat removed, products aren't toxic to the reaction and so forth). So having your rehydration fluid at the max temp the organisms can survive (healthily) will generally max the speed of it all happening.
6) Active living organisms generally have narrow temperature windows for survival BUT those are a factor of temperature and time (you can survive a few mins in a freezer but not hours or days. You can survive a sauna for hours but not weeks). Surgical sterilisation takes temps of say 130C wet steam under pressure to effectively kill all spore forms. Otherwise one might be inclined to ferment at 40C <s>
7) the written article describes the basics of yeast culture - providing O2, sugar, nutrients, keeping alcohol/metabolic waste down. One could imply from that that further improvement could be made by hydrating in a larger volume, stirring more often to release CO2, maintaining ideal temperature (I'd guess circa 37C = average mammal body temp), calculating & maintaining minimum good nutrient and sugar substrate levels and effective sterility to avoid contaminants. Start your rehydration with all those factors and pitch 24hrs later with a theortetical 65,535 times your starter cell numbers! Or just chuck the stuff into the wort and don't worry about it because it really can't make more than a day's difference.

<Confused? You won't be after the next episode of Soap>

pgk

I've followed Lallemand's recommendations for their yeasts, both the general one for rehydration with water at 30-35 C:
https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/wp...ctices-RehydrationProtocol-A4-_printbleed.pdfand when using specific yeasts the recommended amounts of go-ferm protect, which I appreciate is making life complicated for myself. Personally it makes a lot of sense about rehydrating under warm conditions with material that supports the re-establishment of the cell membrane and cell pressure.

However, from reading about the merits of rehydration and products like go-ferm it's really only significant where there is osmotic or temperature stresses on the yeast at pitching, such as mead or high initial gravity wine musts. I also have most recently used it for the two lagers fermented based on Lallemand's data sheet recommendations for their yeast use in a commercial brewery context, which to be fair is probably less relevant again for the volumes used in home brewing.

So it appears there is consistent advice about rehydration of dried yeast in a commercial setting, though in a home brew setting it really seems I'm just making life complicated for myself (except mead where I really think it helps)

Anna

That’s the complete opposite of my experience. My lag times are significantly lower when I rehydrate, especially with the Mangrove Jacks yeasts.
That's the thing with brewing though isn't it? Even micro changes in brewing technique / equipment can have very different effects down the line.

Some yeasts do better rehydrated than others imo

This is quite a good experiment although in German, but google translate does a decent job of translating it. At the end there is a best practice for rehydrating and attemperating dried lager yeasts

https://www.maischemalzundmehr.de/index.php?inhaltmitte=exp_w3470
Personally I've just taken to pitching more yeast dry - for a typical ale I'll dry pitch two packets instead of the standard one. It's easy and cheap

Making stronger beers and lagers I'll rehydrate and pitch more too

Last edited:
1) comment on vid re sprinkling dry yeast directly claims higher cell death rate that when reydrated first. That doesn't make rational sense since you are sprinkling it either way. If true you'ld need some other factors in play or the vid 'cheats' by not making fair comparisons: temp, access to air, stir v non-stir perhaps. Since advice is one can use hot wort then the wort itself shouldn't be the limiting factor.

I can only assume the high death rate caused by sprinkling directly is because you are sprinkling into a high concentrate of sugar and not plain water therefore better to go with water.

I can only assume the high death rate caused by sprinkling directly is because you are sprinkling into a high concentrate of sugar and not plain water therefore better to go with water.
I think it's something to do with osmotic pressure having an adverse effect before the cell walls are properly reconstituted.

I think it's something to do with osmotic pressure having an adverse effect before the cell walls are properly reconstituted.

I've mentioned this paper about preconditioning yeast with salt to restart a stuck ferment in another thread but it seems relevant here. For those with a scientific bent it's an interesting read but for those that aren't just skip to the conclusion at the bottom.
Alleviation of stuck wine fermentations using salt‐preconditioned yeast

I use John Palmers dried yeast rehydration method: for up to 30 litres of wort sprinkle one 11g ish pack of yeast into 250ml of warm (25C ish) pre-boiled water in a suitable vessel, don’t stir, cover for 15 minutes, gently stir to ensure the yeast is fully wetted, recover for another 15 minutes, swirl the the yeasty mixture and add to the wort.

I can't remember the last time I rehydrated a yeast. My last batch was a two gallon batch of bitter at 1.034 that I brewed with 6 grams of four year old muntons. There was a 1/8 inch layer of foam in less than 6 hours.

Yeast is tough stuff.
It can take it anyway you chose, However
for me the advantage of hydration/starters is you know the yeast is going to hit the ground running

I have seen lots of posts on this forum where people have pitched and then spent the next few days wondering if its going to take off.

for me the advantage of hydration/starters is you know the yeast is going to hit the ground running

I have never made a starter but can confirm rehydrating yeast gets fermentation going unbelievably fast i used to rehydrate in winter when my kitchen was cold and before i bought a heat pad i now don't bother unless stocks are low and i need to get things going fast.

Latest posts

Back