Reliable Laptop?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've run into a couple negatives with HP--overheating is probably the worst of it. This current HP was not cheap but it is built like it is though I was impressed by the weight of it (non-scientific comment). We got it from Costco which is why we bought it.
I've had a great experience with ASUS and Acer and only replaced those when they became out-of-date (old).
I am interested to hear what the top two or three computer brands are, in their experience?
Like I said, at the moment, mine are Acer and ASUS.

I have had a HP for quite a few years and before that the Sony Vaio of which it is still running but only used as a back up. I would buy both again

Got a ThinkPad S440 - been ok up to now must be 3 years old. When I was a service engineer (when I was young) whatever we had seemed to last three years, assuming no coffee spills.
The first laptops we had (two floppy drives) operating program on one, data storage on the other were built like br---- s---- houses, over the years they all have been 'lightened'.

Last edited:
I have used an ASUS Laptop for a few years it was a decent spec back then and is still running smoothly today if it broke beyond economic repair i wouldn't hesitate in buying another.

I mixed ASUS and ACER in my earlier post so removed it. aheadbutt

I have an ACER-E570 with an IT processor and the only downfall was the battery which recently only lasted an hour considering it's about 7 years old but then I swapped out the hard drive for an SSD and it's like a new laptop with nearly 3hrs on the battery and literally seconds on boot rather than minutes and no lag surfing now.
Unfortunately it will have to be replaced sometime as it has not got the spec for Windows 11.

I have an ACER-E570 with an IT processor and the only downfall was the battery which recently only lasted an hour considering it's about 7 years old but then I swapped out the hard drive for an SSD and it's like a new laptop with nearly 3hrs on the battery and literally seconds on boot rather than minutes and no lag surfing now.
Unfortunately it will have to be replaced sometime as it has not got the spec for Windows 11.
Good news and bad news. Seven years old is outstanding.
Unless someone is gaming, I've found that the cheapest model of the best company is the way to go. I feel bad because I recommended the HP I'm using to a relative. His has the same lack of quality. Oh, well. Next time.

the only downfall was the battery which recently only lasted an hour considering it's about 7 years old b

The battery on mine has had it but i took it off (after finding out its safe to do so) and now use it connected to the mains not having the battery on seems to make it work faster than it did when the battery was getting tired and needed constant charging.

ASUS and ACER
Honestly, they're almost interchangeable--both have been workhorses when I had one.
I got one of those (can't remember which) for $180 and bought three for relatives. That price was beyond ridiculous. They all lasted well beyond expectation. The casings weren't brushed steel or anything but they did great.

Good news and bad news. Seven years old is outstanding.
Unless someone is gaming, I've found that the cheapest model of the best company is the way to go. I feel bad because I recommended the HP I'm using to a relative. His has the same lack of quality. Oh, well. Next time.
I have always had excellent quality especially camera and video with HDMI output and certainly won't be getting rid as it's very reliable.

The battery on mine has had it but i took it off and now use it connected to the mains not having the battery on seems to make it work fasster than it did when the battery was getting tired and needed constant charging.
My HP I have now has a **** battery and I have to keep it plugged in. That's what I'm saying--a lot of things are going wrong with this HP and we paid $700. Color me "not pleased."

The battery on mine has had it but i took it off (after finding out its safe to do so) and now use it connected to the mains not having the battery on seems to make it work faster than it did when the battery was getting tired and needed constant charging.
For sure with mains connection it's has a steady voltage and able to maintain the required current for the MB, processor and all whereas with battery lagging charge capacity can lead to under voltage which is not good for electronic components.

My HP I have now has a **** battery and I have to keep it plugged in. That's what I'm saying--a lot of things are going wrong with this HP and we paid $700. Color me "not pleased."

If you are using it plugged in all the time try taking the battery off and see if it improves the performance.

I'm definitely planning on going back to ACER or Asus.
The version should be good for ages, I would guess.
I had an ASUS Shell pc which was only 11" but the battery was phenomenal and I had spilled a full glass of Red wine over whilst we were caravaning and thought it was done but turned it upside down then hit it with a hairdryer,left for 24hrs and low and behold it run and I had it for 10 years.

What are you using it for?
For the last 8 years I have used nothing but a Chromebook. Now hold on with any 'they can't do anything comments'. If you're mainly using it for word processing, spreadsheets and surfing the net, you can't do better and the cloud synching is amazing (compatible with MS Office files btw). Battery life is much better than any laptop (easy get 8 hours but much more if you get a decent one). They start up in seconds and they're really cheap. Functionality wise, they're getting so much better with such a lot of stuff now being browser based - I use mine for photo editing, audio and video (tho not to the standard of a Mac). I'd really recommend you give them a go unless you're wanting to do some high end gaming.

If you are using it plugged in all the time try taking the battery off and see if it improves the performance.
I've never considered that or done it. Are you saying, literally, take the battery out and plug it in to the outlet? While I get electricity on paper, I'm not good with the application side of it.

What are you using it for?
I'm all for that. You won't get an instant rejection/objection from me. That idea is something to consider. I've always said the computer companies try to push products far, far above what is necessary.
I am personally not a fan of Cloud-related operations though--think Gene Hackman in Enemy of the State.
That last sentence of mine made ME laugh.

I've never considered that or done it. Are you saying, literally, take the battery out and plug it in to the outlet? While I get electricity on paper, I'm not good with the application side of it.

Life Without a Laptop Battery
I had a laptop that had a faulty battery, so I removed the battery and continued to use the laptop on AC power, as it rarely left the house.
The fact that it seldom left the house made me give up on the idea of buying a new battery for it.
It’s mainly being used as a desktop replacement.
Did it affect the computer performance or harm it in any way? No, it did not. Did it continue to work just as before? Yes, it did.

You can Use a Laptop without the Battery
There is no reason why a laptop wouldn’t work just fine without its battery, as long as you take a few aspects into account.

First of all, make sure you’re using the original power adapter that came with the laptop. Power variations could cause components on the laptop’s motherboard to fail, which is something that the battery can prevent by acting the way a UPS would.

And speaking of power, you probably shouldn’t use a laptop without a battery if you live in an area where high-intensity electrical loads are likely. If you know that you don’t have good quality electrical current, don’t do this, or use a UPS too. That way, you can make sure that your laptop doesn’t suffer any damage in the event of a high load. Not to mention a UPS is essential anyway as you won’t lose your work in the case of a power outage, and they act as a surge protector too.

Another important thing is never to remove the power cord from the laptop when it is working, as that could cause damage to its components.

Also, don’t touch the battery contacts when it’s plugged in. They are well hidden in the case of most laptops, but you could get a bit of a jolt. It’s pretty low-voltage — most of them are at 24V maximum.

And remember only to take out the battery when the laptop is turned off and unplugged.

Battery Care
If you’re doing this to protect your battery, which makes sense if the laptop doesn’t go anywhere and only sits on your desk, make sure you charge the battery to around 40% before taking it out and storing it. To maximize its life, you can store it in your fridge, in a Ziploc bag.

If you don’t want to do that, you should at least do a full charge-discharge cycle periodically. This should prolong your battery life.

Conclusion
As long as you take some common-sense precautions, you can use a laptop without its battery.

https://www.groovypost.com/tips/run-laptop-without-battery-safe/

I have an ancient Toshiba Satellite Pro. It was quite a high-spec machine in its day, but that was 2006, and somehow it's still limping on, so I have nothing but praise for it. Couple of years ago, I took to one of those little phone shops in the town centre, and got him to 'service' it, which was mostly, clean it up, etc. 50 quid got me a couple more years out of it. I may end being more marooned in Windows 7 than fearing the demise of the laptop.

Back