Relieving pressure from kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dizzle

Reaction score
I have legitimately acquired 2 10 gallon kegs (yes legitimately) to convert for use in an AG setup. All the info online regarding depressurising sanke kegs does not seem to be helpful as out of the 2 I have, one does not have the ball to press to release pressure and the other seems to have some sort of cap. If anyone has come across either of the 2 and can assist in how to depressurise them so I can get on and cut the tops off to make a HLT and brew kettle I would be most grateful. Pics below :cheers:

Capped keg
1ma9.jpg

Castrated keg (ball-less)
1mdo.jpg

for the keg in the 2nd pic, With any round tool/ strong pipe too big to fall into the bottom depression but small enough to push down on the metal ring above it WITHOUT sealing tight.. Just push down keeping your head back to avoid a squirt of gas n beer in the face.. a screwdriver engaging with the lowest point will engage the spear and squirt any beer out first..

as for the keg in the 1st pic ??? sorry i dunno, perhaps try levering up the edge if pushing down on the central pin isnt working??

if u have a regular local perhaps u cld borrow a couple of couplers which when engaged would vent the kegs much easier..

If you are planning on cutting them for boilers and so forth simply drill a hole, it's co2 not a flammable gas and the pressure isn't enough to blow a stainless keg.
I converted a keg into a camp stove and simply used my grinder to cut.

If you are trying to save the kegs for refilling then it's a different story.

Managed to get the one in the 2nd picture done. Still no idea how to remove the 1st. Anyone?

Pressure relieved! Now to slowly plan my next steps in to my garage brewery :hmm:

Latest posts

Back