Remember the Beast from the East?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
12 months ago we were freezing today we are experiencing unbelievably warm weather shame winter couldn't be this warm every year.

Some pictures comparing the two below -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47360952

It's hard to believe that a year ago Britain was about to endure the worst of the so-called Beast from the East, with widespread snow and sub-zero temperatures.

Fast forward 12 months and this record February warmth shows just how varied the UK weather can be.

The reason temperatures have been so high is the direction our air is coming from.

High pressure parked to the south east of the British Isles has been dragging warm air from Africa and the Canary Islands our way.

Temperatures are further boosted by something known as the foehn effect, when air warms as it flows down the lee side of mountains.

All of this combined with the sunshine has produced something quite remarkable for February.

_105792520_roxannerodrigues2018.jpg

_105792522_roxannerodrigues2019.jpg

_105793040_paulinedaniels2018a.jpg

_105792528_paulinedaniels2019a.jpg

_105793042_highcommimage.jps.jpg

_105793043_highcommimage.jpg

Had a barbecue both Saturday and Sunday this weekend & the kids thought it warm enough to have a water fight in the garden. Crazy weather!

What amazes me is that even after nearly 2 weeks of consistent warm sunny weather, people are still walking around in coats.

London experienced it's hottest february day ever today, 21.2C. My clients PIP assesment was cancelled so i took a two hour break and sat by the river in my pants and vest (ok, not my pants and vest but I did take my shoes and sock off)

Global warming is terrible and will kill us all! Or so the more lurid headlines have been saying for the past 30 years or so. If the current warm spell is a consequence of climate change ( it isn't ), what's the big deal? Most folk seem to think it's great and preferable to being buried in snow like we were this time last year. Bet it snows at Easter... cue more daft headlines.

I like you hate really hot weather in summer but this in winter will do for me.

Latest posts

Back