Remove burr from inside copper pipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Buffers brewery What a good idea! wish I had thought of that before buying all the copper! Do the beads not sometimes end up blocking the tap hole?

@Subtle Duck Yes, good point, perhaps I worry too much. I'll just go for it and hope for the best!
I agree with you about the glass beads. It's a brilliant idea. I already have a copy manifold but the slots were getting blocked so I put all the grain in a very large bag resting on top of the manifold. Problem solved and a much better sparge.

Not that this helps with you deburring question, but I use glass beads and a net bag in my mash tun. Easy to make. Easy to clean. Easy to squeeze out last drop of wort from grain and then dispose of the spent grain in one go.
Glass beads cost about £10 and made the bag from net curtain material, cost about £3.
View attachment 39873
View attachment 39874
View attachment 39875
Brilliant. I'll send my grandson out with a bag of marbles and tell him to win enough to line a cooler box. When they get back to school, of course. You're right about the bag. It makes for a much better sparge.

I made a wooden jig and cut mine with a hacksaw,except for the pipe ends which I cut with a pipe cutter as my manifold just slots together.
The burrs knock out very easily... easiest part of the job.

Not that this helps with you deburring question, but I use glass beads and a net bag in my mash tun.

Clearly an engineer - I’ve seen many of your other posts

I do like the approach of not “How can I fix this”, but more a step back and “What is it I’m trying to achieve here and what methods can I employ to get there?”

Clearly an engineer - I’ve seen many of your other posts

I do like the approach of not “How can I fix this”, but more a step back and “What is it I’m trying to achieve here and what methods can I employ to get there?”
Thanks. After the comments on this thread I thought I'd post a thread in the "How-to Guides" section athumb..

Hi all,

I have cut up the 15mm copper pipe for my manifold and read that a number of people have used a 1mm angle grinder disk to cut the slots, great idea because it'll take much less time than a hacksaw, but it seems to leave a big burr inside the pipe. Anyone know of a good (easy!) way to remove this?

Thnaks,

Tom

Round ******* Files are good for removing burrs from inside pipes. They come in a range of thicknesses and lengths and usually cost around £5/£6.

Screenshot_20210124-230508_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for all the helpful replies chaps! I'm not yet used to the fact I have to check this forum, I got lazy relying on being emailed to say I had a reply on other forums.

I have a round file and needle files, dowel and sandpaper. So will probably use a combo of those.

I note that no one has had a problem and it is on the pre-boil side of the operation, I just know what I'm like - not a fan of cleaning - so I fear not being able to easily clean may lead to issues.

I could use the hacksaw to cut slots, but that seems like it will take much longer and whilst I haven't got the calipers out to measure the slot width to 100th of a mm, there didn't appear to be much between my test cuts. Perhaps I will measure though because I'm geeky like that.

Am I right in assuming there should be a slot every few mm? The 'How to Brew' book seems to suggest less than that but on this forum I see people recommending as many as possible.

Next challenge is keeping it all together without soldering. I don't think my 90watt iron will solder it and the only other thing I have access to is an oxy acetylene torch which will turn the manifold into a paperweight.

Latest posts

Back