Remove burr from inside copper pipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomB88

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have cut up the 15mm copper pipe for my manifold and read that a number of people have used a 1mm angle grinder disk to cut the slots, great idea because it'll take much less time than a hacksaw, but it seems to leave a big burr inside the pipe. Anyone know of a good (easy!) way to remove this?

Thnaks,

Tom

These are very good for 15mm pipe.
download.jpeg

Hi all,

I have cut up the 15mm copper pipe for my manifold and read that a number of people have used a 1mm angle grinder disk to cut the slots, great idea because it'll take much less time than a hacksaw, but it seems to leave a big burr inside the pipe. Anyone know of a good (easy!) way to remove this?

Thnaks,

Tom
Does it need removing? The more you try to ream it out, the more likely you are to push the burr over to block the slots.

I've (stupidly) drilled holes into my manifold copper pipe (took forever). Left the burrs (maybe lazy) as I think it provides a bit more filtering, just need to make sure they're clean afterwards. It hasn't hindered anything yet.

Thanks for the suggestions. Sandpaper might work, but it'd be a bugger to keep pushing through the pipe.

It is true that the burr could cover the slots, but I could get at it with a very small file if that happens.

I did think about a pipe cutter, but I'm not sure if it would leave a big enough gap?

@Subtle Duck good to know! I guess I may not need to remove the burrs, but I read that one should and assumed it was because bacteria might grow in crevices.

It sounds like this is going to be a painful process whether I use a hacksaw or grinder, unless it is not necessary.

Not that this helps with you deburring question, but I use glass beads and a net bag in my mash tun. Easy to make. Easy to clean. Easy to squeeze out last drop of wort from grain and then dispose of the spent grain in one go.
Glass beads cost about £10 and made the bag from net curtain material, cost about £3.
E3CDB045-8D03-45AF-A1CD-9B922D7E0193.jpeg

38B552AF-9D09-4ACA-9DA4-C830A5802241.jpeg

3847C9E8-D2BE-44E1-9BCB-A702B12BEDCC.jpeg

I'm not too worried about much stuff pre boil (as long as it's clean!). I think 60/90 mins boiling in the kettle will kill just about everything. It's cold side that I really sanitise and ensure everything is right.

@Buffers brewery What a good idea! wish I had thought of that before buying all the copper! Do the beads not sometimes end up blocking the tap hole?

@Subtle Duck Yes, good point, perhaps I worry too much. I'll just go for it and hope for the best!

@Buffers brewery What a good idea! wish I had thought of that before buying all the copper! Do the beads not sometimes end up blocking the tap hole?

@Subtle Duck Yes, good point, perhaps I worry too much. I'll just go for it and hope for the best!
No blockages. I originally crimped the end of the nipple after cutting slots in it. But have changed to fitting a elbow that points downwards and produces a syphon. See my post..
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/coolbox-mash-tun-tap-mod.88654/

Hi all,

Thnaks,

Tom
Cut a wooden dowel to the length you need.

Cut a slot in the end of the dowel.

Cut a square of sandpaper and insert into the slot, wrapping it around the dowel.

Affix dowel into your hand drill and you've got a rotary sander you can poke into your pipe.

I don't think I bothered and never had any issues and as someone else mentioned, if it's going to be boiled, you won't have to worry about bacteria. If you want to get rid of the burrs and you have no luck with any of the other suggestions, try a round or half-round file.

It's amazing how much **** seems to build up though. Give it a good blast with a shower after every brew.

is OP referring only to burr at cut ends of pipe. or at every half cut along the pipe ?

OP....cut slots with angle grinder but leaves burrs inside pipe...
The burrs could also be removed with a piece of threaded bar as I thought they mostly got knocked off rather than filed.

Have never done this but do a fair bit of metal working and plumbing. First of all I'd say the burrs won't cause a problem so deburring is not essential. Also copper has quite powerful antibacterial properties so bacterial growth seems unlikely and finally it's all cold side anyhow (as someone else said) so your boil will sterilise the wort in any event.
Personally I'd cut the slots with a hacksaw because the slot width will be smaller than using an angle grinder. If you make a cutting jig out of wood you will also get all the slots looking the same (this doesn't matter a bean except if you are an obsessive engineering type like me). Deburring would best be done by wrapping coarse emery cloth around a suitable dowel. Copper is very soft so it's likely that the burrs will bend at first, so you'd have to use a needle file on the outside then return to the emery cloth (this will take a while, so comfy chair, a pint of beer & some good music or radio programme will encourage a suitable state of relaxed mind!!)

Latest posts

Back