Replanting a hop plant

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svenito

Regular.
Reaction score
There's a wild hop plant growing just up the road from me and I was thinking about taking a "copy" to care for myself.

I've no idea how to successfully accomplish this, so what do I need to know, in order to grow my own from this plant, is that's possible?

My suggestion is that you will need to dig up some of the rootstock and plant that. I doubt if cuttings would work.
Now's the time to do it. The rhizomes I planted in January are just throwing up shoots
There's an extensive thread about hop growing here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/hop-plants-rhizomes-growing-report.69518/
And if you Google 'grow hops' there are a few sites that will come up including this one
http://www.essentiallyhops.co.uk/acatalog/Growing-Hops.html.
If you go for pots then go for the biggest pot you can manage.

Right that's what I needed to know, the roots. Now I just need to figure out where the roots are, as it's not really visible atm. I'll probably have to wait for the growth this year, and grab a root then. Thanks for the links to taking care of hops, they will also be handy

Right that's what I needed to know, the roots. Now I just need to figure out where the roots are, as it's not really visible atm. I'll probably have to wait for the growth this year, and grab a root then. Thanks for the links to taking care of hops, they will also be handy
When you have identified the hop plant dig up some rootstock with some shortish shoots and plant that. My guess is that you should then cut back to three or four of the healthiest looking shoots and establish those for this year's growth.

When you have identified the hop plant dig up some rootstock with some shortish shoots and plant that. My guess is that you should then cut back to three or four of the healthiest looking shoots and establish those for this year's growth.

I assume that I can dig up the root stock and cut a length off of it?

I would guess that's OK provided you retain part of the main root growth. However if the rootstock really thick and woody go for some of the secondary less thick sections, but not too fibrous. It's a bit 'suck it and see' really. My limited understanding of hops are that they are fundamentally a weed, more so if they are wild, so they will be quite robust and should stand a bit of knocking about.

Dig it up sooner than later. We are in the dormant part of the season for most plants currently (other than bulbs) and that's the best time.
Hops form crowns, a bit like rhubarb. Google "Hop crown" images to see.
Get the main portion of the crown, don't worry about chopping the longer roots.
Replant in a deep enough hole so that the ground level point is preserved as the same as it was. Water thoroughly when planted.

Am new to brewing btw, but a gardener by trade.

Hops form crowns, a bit like rhubarb. Google "Hop crown" images to see.
Am new to brewing btw, but a gardener by trade.
I hope my hop rhizomes do better than the rhubarb on my allotment. Its virtually gone from hero to zero in two seasons in spite of lots of TLC. If it doesn't produce much this year it will get dug up!
And welcome to the forum Alex.

Hi Terry, Thanks! :-)

Soil types and aspect(where a plant is, open, sheltered, sunny, shady etc...), are something that plants either like or dislike. You can change soil makeup, or replace missing nutrients, but that can be considerable work.
If a plant is not performing, despite every effort, then remove it! or move it...... You can't fight nature easily! :-)

A useful thread on taking cuttings from hop plants here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/propagating-from-hop-cuttings.68429/. It seems it can be done but is tricky. Splitting rhyzomes is more reliable but make sure you don't kill off a good plant that might be supplying keen eyed brewers other than yourself.

Also, I take it you know that these hops are good to brew with? Some of them can be pretty underwhelming from my understanding of wild hops.

A useful thread on taking cuttings from hop plants here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/propagating-from-hop-cuttings.68429/. It seems it can be done but is tricky. Splitting rhyzomes is more reliable but make sure you don't kill off a good plant that might be supplying keen eyed brewers other than yourself.

Also, I take it you know that these hops are good to brew with? Some of them can be pretty underwhelming from my understanding of wild hops.
That's true. I just like the idea of having a hop plant and seeing how it goes. G

I suppose one day I'll get a usuable one. If I can keep this one alive.

Latest posts

Back