Reptile heat mat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Question for those of you who use a reptile heat mat as the heat source in your brew fridge...

Where do you have the heat mat mounted? Is it fixed to the wall of your fridge or is the FV sat on top of it?

(I would have assumed the latter but maybe there are both kinds???)

I've bought this one but now I've received it it seems it's designed to be fixed to the wall (to mimic the radiant heat from sunlight). The instructions specifically say not to cover it as this can cause overheating.

Does anyone else use this kind of mat? Maybe there are two kinds, or maybe they all work like this?

Not a major issue right now as the ambient temp in the garage is warm enough that I can get by without a heater but I suspect it'll be a different story in winter! And in any case if I suck it and see it may still do the job fine, even if it's different to what I had in mind.

Cheers,

Matt athumb..

I'd be tempted to try it under the fv. Can you put a temp probe there? The beer will absorb the heat - it's not as if you are putting insulation on top. Most units will cut out if they overheat.

Question for those of you who use a reptile heat mat as the heat source in your brew fridge...

Where do you have the heat mat mounted? Is it fixed to the wall of your fridge or is the FV sat on top of it?

(I would have assumed the latter but maybe there are both kinds???)

I've bought this one but now I've received it it seems it's designed to be fixed to the wall (to mimic the radiant heat from sunlight). The instructions specifically say not to cover it as this can cause overheating.

Does anyone else use this kind of mat? Maybe there are two kinds, or maybe they all work like this?

Not a major issue right now as the ambient temp in the garage is warm enough that I can get by without a heater but I suspect it'll be a different story in winter! And in any case if I suck it and see it may still do the job fine, even if it's different to what I had in mind.

Cheers,

Matt athumb..
I've been using one for a few years and had it located under the glass shelf and it worked perfectly though I inherited a newer fridge from the kitchen and have it placed against the back wall of the fridge and no issues. I do have my probe under the fermenter however to ensure its up to temperature before it turns off.

Probably doesn't help as you use a fridge, but I have mine wrapped around my all rounder and about 5 layers of foil roll around the whole fermzilla it to keep it in place. Inkbird on the other side in between foil and fermzilla.

I use the mat so the temperature doesn't compromise the integrity of the fermzilla, nice low and slow heating source.

IMG_20200715_193329.jpg

Back