Rescuing a beer with ZERO head retention?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhenson22

Reaction score
Is there anything I can add to the keg to improve head retention of an already brewed beer?

It's a NEIPA, a style I'm just starting to experiment with. Aroma and flavour are great but the head retention is literally non existent, like cider. Carbonation is fine, pours with a head of large bubbles that disappear almost immediately.

I included acid malt in the mash so wondering if PH went too low (I forgot to check it at the time....). Also wondering if the mango fruit addition to primary could have something to do with it. Either way, the beer is m tasty, just wondering if I can do anything to help the head so I don't have to keep explaining myself to my tasters!! 🤣🤣

A nukatap with flow control, attached directly to the post, will have the beer flying out and create quite a head. How long it will last is another thing.

IMG-20220410-WA0003.jpeg

The received wisdom of the 80s and 90s was that oats are oily and destroy the head. It seems that, today, we can use up to 10% without losing too much, but above 10% the head is adversely affected.
So did you use a load of oats in your NEIPA?

Are you sure it's not the glass? Washing up liquid or dishwasher rinse aid will kill head retention. Google for 'beer clean' glass for more info.

Surprising for a NEIPA, unless the ABV is quite high as that will reduce the head retention. Mango may well have added to the cideryness due to the sucrose, it will make the beer thinner too. How much mango was there?

I wouldn't add anything now, but think about identifying the issue for next time

Last edited:
The received wisdom of the 80s and 90s was that oats are oily and destroy the head. It seems that, today, we can use up to 10% without losing too much, but above 10% the head is adversely affected.
So did you use a load of oats in your NEIPA?

30% oats (50/50 malted and flaked) may not have helped then! I didnt have any wheat on hand so will definitely look at changing that for the next one.

Surprising for a NEIPA, unless the ABV is quite high as that will reduce the head retention. Mango may well have added to the cideryness due to the sucrose, it will make the beer thinner too. How much mango was there?

I wouldn't add anything now, but think about identifying the issue for next time

1kg of mango chunks added. I think it feels a little thinner because of it. In conjunction with the large amount of oats I added, I may try the beer again with less oats and no mango addition, and work from there. Flavour wise I think I'm on the right track so just need to work on refining it.

Is there anything I can add to the keg to improve head retention of an already brewed beer?

It's a NEIPA, a style I'm just starting to experiment with. Aroma and flavour are great but the head retention is literally non existent, like cider. Carbonation is fine, pours with a head of large bubbles that disappear almost immediately.

I included acid malt in the mash so wondering if PH went too low (I forgot to check it at the time....). Also wondering if the mango fruit addition to primary could have something to do with it. Either way, the beer is m tasty, just wondering if I can do anything to help the head so I don't have to keep explaining myself to my tasters!! 🤣🤣

Did you use brewing sugar at the beginning?
(Forgive me if that's a daft question, I'm still pretty new to this).

Not surprising for a NEIPA. Little to no bittering addition will mean the beer is lacking in foam positive polyphenols from isomerised hops, and will have plenty of foam negative lipids from heavy dry hopping. Some Tetra hop extract may adjust that balance and rescue the head retention, but then you will probably change the character of the beer.

I think this is why the iceman pour became trendy for a while. Photogenic foam disappearing before instagramers can get their cameras out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back