Research

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi all just off to Bedford beer festival to research my next brew, does anyone have any suggestions to try from the list?Adobe Acrobat

Used to have a mate who took an interesting approach to beer festivals. He'd start with the strongest and work his way down on the grounds that if you start with the weakest and work up, you rarely get to the decent stuff in a fit state to enjoy it. So, with this in mind, I'd start with the Spirtual Healing followed by Mind Bleach and so on.
A word of caution: leave the ciders and perries for a separate session tomorrow lunchtime.
Good luck. Enjoy. I'm very jealous.

Full report complete with tasting notes, please, on your return.
Two things worry me: I've only been away for just over 5 years and I'm horrified by the number of breweries on that list that I've never heard of. Also, I'm equally horrified by the fact that there's no proper west-country cider on the list, but that's just me being bitter and twisted.

Last edited:
I did the Brighton Beer Festival for my Brother's stag do once - 12 of us - to say it was carnage is an understatement....

Three Blind Mice Lonely Snake I've had before which was a sessionable hoppy beer.

I think a 1/3 of Spiritual Healing would have to be tried.
Pigeon Ale sounds interesting just on the name.
The Rauch beer from Burwell. (been through Burwell loads of times didn't know it had a brewery)
B******s to Covid-19
I would just take a lucky dip with the rest. I know they rarely mention hops or malts in these festivals, probably so as not to skew the judging but it doesn't leave much to go on.

Oakham brewery well known but you can get JHB in Asda so perhaps not worth having at a festival. Same for Courage Director's... Although far better on tap of course

My palate is massively affected by what beers I've had previously so I like to work my way up, but as mentioned above I probably wouldn't even make it to the bigger beers that way

Last edited:
@Sadfield which whim beer do you recommend? Or should I try them all? It looks like 1/2 of each of 8 beers to try. I will report back and start a search for recipes. Thanks everyone more recommendations welcome.

@Sadfield which whim beer do you recommend? Or should I try them all? It looks like 1/2 of each of 8 beers to try. I will report back and start a search for recipes. Thanks everyone more recommendations welcome.
Whatever fits your fancy and personal taste, I find they brew consistently good beer. Of the three, I'm always happy to see Caskade, its a simple but effective brew of Lager malt and Cascade hops. Black Christmas is the most interesting though.

So, after spending an afternoon/early evening trying various beers,I came to the conclusion that what I was drinking really wasn't worth the effort to duplicate. I don't know if it's my palate or are many commercial beers just not good enough? I expected better or am I just getting old and grumpy?

In my experience the problem is usually the small, cask beer festival itself. They are often hastily set up, the beers not given enough time to settle, not vented early enough and always at the wrong temperature, especially when the venue fills up warm bodies. So, what would be a great beer in a well run pub, becomes an immature, dull and lifeless pint.

Back