Residual smell in FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmass96

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I brewed a coconut stout on 14th June (was a big success) and am now looking to do my first kegged homebrew, for which I still have no idea how to use it.

Anyway, my FV has like a bit of a leftover and very very subtle coconutty smell. My FV is just a plastic bucket. I usually leave sanitised water in the FV overnight before brewday, but if I can't seem to shift it is it too much of an issue?

Cheers!
Ben.

Hi everyone,

I brewed a coconut stout on 14th June (was a big success) and am now looking to do my first kegged homebrew, for which I still have no idea how to use it.

Anyway, my FV has like a bit of a leftover and very very subtle coconutty smell. My FV is just a plastic bucket. I usually leave sanitised water in the FV overnight before brewday, but if I can't seem to shift it is it too much of an issue?

Cheers!
Ben.

New bucket? Cheap enough and readily available if you are worried about it.
I change my fermenting buckets now every year regardless.
They get scratched inside etc etc and seem to hold beer smells when older imho.

New bucket? Cheap enough and readily available if you are worried about it.
I change my fermenting buckets now every year regardless.
They get scratched inside etc etc and seem to hold beer smells when older imho.
Fair enough! I'd get a new one but I'm a little reluctant to as it was my first brew in it lol. It won't cause infection is my...well, not worry but yeah

My only comment concern here would be that coconut is very oily, and may have left some of that behind. Give it the hot water / oxy treatment, that should sort it. If it doesn't, I'd be tempted to bin it.

Hot water with a scoop or two of oxy seems to clean mine and eliminate smell. Leave overnight and rinse next day.

Hi everyone,

Cheers!
Ben.
Wash it out with some diluted bleach or chlorine-based cleaner. Rinse well and if there's still a bit of coconut in there, don't worry. It's unlikely to affect the beer.

Latest posts

Back