Restarting due to price hike.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericmark

Regular.
Reaction score
Morrisons did 4 cans of bitter for 90p simply not worth brewing at that cost, OK only 2% but it was OK, now jumped to £1.76 so time to start brewing again.

Still have fermentors, but fridge/freezer gone, so thinking of control methods, still have the controller but can't cool can only heat, tried to heat only before, but found the heat from brewing would cause over heating, so looking for cheap control.

I have a flat under the house, intend to brew in there, likely on the kitchen counter, still have I think the demo underfloor heating tile I use to use to warm up, but not sure how to stop over heating, looking for cheap ideas.

I think the demo underfloor heating tile I use to use to warm up, but not sure how to stop over heating, looking for cheap ideas.

I use the Inkbird controller above for my boiler and I use immersion heaters in my fermenters. Here are a couple:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/19034683260?iid=312957730627

https://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/immersion-heater/

Edit: I should have said the immersion heaters have heating elements and the thermostat built in - so set and forget.

As said cooling not heating is the problem, I seem to remember years ago in Algeria seeing wagons with the water bottle wrapped in sacking and hung off the wing mirror, I wonder if I can use a similar method? Wet towel and simple fan, or similar, but would be better not to reinvent the wheel and if some one has already worked out a good method better to copy.

I've seen a few posts around that mention wet towel and fan. It depends on how practical that is for you.

Wet towel and simple fan

Evaporative cooling isn't very efficient, and might cause damp in your flat. Putting your fermentor in a builder's trug with cold tap water and bottles of frozen water might help to keep things cool during the summer months.

Keep an eye on Facebook Marketplace or Gumtree for cheap second hand fridges and freezers. I got my chest freezer for my keezer for £30 delivered so there are bargains to be had.

As said cooling not heating is the problem

I may be missing something but you said in the first post -

the controller but can't cool can only heat, tried to heat only before, but found the heat from brewing would cause over heating, so looking for cheap control.

The inkbird controller would stop the overheating.

I have a MH1210A and a STC-1000 the latter can control heating and cooling and was used to control the freezer and set of bulbs used when starting a brew, and the MH1210A looks nearly the same but can only control heating or cooling and was used after racking to maintain the temperature heating only used in the fridge compartment.

However the fridge/freezer has gone, and got two kits and sugar, but self isolating due to my age, once the pandemic is over I do have another fridge/freezer I can bring to flat and use, but stored 50 miles away at moment and used by my son, so for time being I need to work with heat only, even bread yeast it seems is in short supply, so got the yeast in the kit full stop.

I don't see a problem with batch one, still cool enough, but second one likely will need to cool, so looking for ideas, had I not already in the past used a freezer to keep brew cool in early stages I would not worry, however I noted how much better is tasted when keep cool in early stages.

I found by day 2 it did not really matter, over temperature after day 2 made very little change to taste, it was just those first couple of days that matter, think likely the builder's trug is best idea, if I can find one wife not using to grow food in.

I may be missing something but you said in the first post -

the controller but can't cool can only heat, tried to heat only before, but found the heat from brewing would cause over heating, so looking for cheap control.

The inkbird controller would stop the overheating.
I did say I still have the controller, but yes not really plain as to what looking for, I would have likely also recommended Inkbird today, when I started they were not around so used the STC-1000.

Think @HarryFlatters has the way forward, even if no trug I can use the bath, no one living in the flat so may as well. And easier to empty after. The thread has worked, thanks to all, just forgotten the idea of sitting it in a bath of water.

Did not work, bathroom far too cold, could not find any heaters, this is going to be a rotten brew, if it were not for Coronavirus I would buy a heater, but since whole idea is isolation it means that will need to weight .

Latest posts

Back