Retailers "own brand" kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll write up a review on it. I looked previously and could not see any reviews on this kit. I like a Blonde Ale. Looking forward to it. I’ll leave it for another couple of weeks to condition.
I’ll have 5 kits then. Looking forward to BBQ season.

How did the James Blonde turn out? I take it the bittering came from a sachet/bottle of iso extract? Seems to be what some of the other retailers do too

Cheers Tom

I received an email from Malt Miller over the weekend about the new range of Muntons malt extracts that they are stocking including the usual suspects and things like Munich extract and Vienna extract.

Malt Extract

These open up even more possibilities for creating your own extract recipes

EDIT : Just received an email from Brew2Bottle and they are stocking the full range of Muntons extracts aswell

Last edited:
If you just want to brew extract only you don't need to get any official kits. Order extract, hops, and yeast that you like and make your own kits.

I did actually consider that at one point, can't remember why I didn't follow up on it. Will have to look at it again when I've used up my stock of mash kits.

Cheers Tom

I moved to extract brewing after kits before I moved to AG. Never had that homebrew twang with extract that you get with kits. I never boiled just hop tea and steeped grains.

Just had a look on Geterbrewed.
I've been using their build your own recipe thing for my mash kits. The "kids" have been supplying me with gift vouchers at Xmas, birthdays and the like. I have an unused one so may have a dabble with making my own extract kit up next time I order. They sell Iso extract and as I've got a freezer that's well stocked with hops the world should be my oyster.
Hmmmmm, time for some mental note scribbling 🤔

Cheers Tom

I received an email from Malt Miller over the weekend about the new range of Muntons malt extracts that they are stocking including the usual suspects and things like Munich extract and Vienna extract.

Malt Extract

These open up even more possibilities for creating your own extract recipes
I'd love to see maris otter and oat malt over here. Briess used to make vienna extract, but it's hard to find.

If you just want to brew extract only you don't need to get any official kits. Order extract, hops, and yeast that you like and make your own kits.
I make very drinkable ale from Liquid malt extract hops from CML and dry yeast which allowes me to build my own recipies and fits my schedule. Much cheaper than beer kits and almost as good as the real, thing.

Happy brewing

I've done four brews sourced from Hampsted now; all worked fine - though the Orange Moon wasn't too my taste (me, not the kit). The lager and Two Rabbits were great. If Wobblygob is from them too - well my daughter and her friends drank the lot.

How did the James Blonde turn out? I take it the bittering came from a sachet/bottle of iso extract? Seems to be what some of the other retailers do too

Cheers Tom
Hi Tom, I am sorry with my delay in replying to you. I have not been on here too much lately. The James Blonde Ale turned out to be a fantastic brew. It was really good. Initially when I first tasted it I was very disappointed and did not really like it. But after a few weeks i tried it again and it was a completely different beer. I wrote a review on it. I would say it was right up there in my top 3 so far. I will definitely be doing it again. I’m also going to try a couple of their wheat beers.

Hi Tom, I am sorry with my delay in replying to you. I have not been on here too much lately. The James Blonde Ale turned out to be a fantastic brew. It was really good. Initially when I first tasted it I was very disappointed and did not really like it. But after a few weeks i tried it again and it was a completely different beer. I wrote a review on it. I would say it was right up there in my top 3 so far. I will definitely be doing it again. I’m also going to try a couple of their wheat beers.

Good to hear it was a good-un.
How about the bittering, was the malt extract already hopped or was there a bottle of iso oil supplied?

Cheers Tom

Made some excellent kits from Dark Rock, HBS and Beerworks, never heard of Ultimate or Heart of England will give them a look cheers

I have just done the 'Traditional Yorkshire Ale' from Worldwide Brewery Classics sourced via Hampsted Brewing. See photo, a single can kit. It's worked fine - dark brew - but personally I thought very little flavour and taste. However, it's a long time since i grew up drinking Tetley's in Yorkshire and maybe my tastes have moved on.

Attachments

• IMG_1249[1].JPG
    IMG_1249[1].JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back