Retired - your plans.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eeeeh you're making me think about it again. I was going to retire this year but SWMBO said she isn't ready and wants two more years :eek: so I'll just kep going (if it all works out!) but sure as hell look forward to it. I agree with many of the posters in terms of keeping yourself busy as I've seen lots of people fade away literally when they stop. So I have plenty of hobbies planned (and some already started). For now I think I'll plan some bike rides across the Spanish/French alps so thanks Dutto for the inspiration - she'll love that and we have two friends that I'm sure would join us for that. I've done it on a motorbike a few years back but never by bike so ...
Meanwhile, I'll do my time and smile as every brew is one closer to my next episode ...

Eeeeh you're making me think about it again. I was going to retire this year but SWMBO said she isn't ready and wants two more years :eek: so I'll just kep going (if it all works out!) but sure as hell look forward to it. I agree with many of the posters in terms of keeping yourself busy as I've seen lots of people fade away literally when they stop. So I have plenty of hobbies planned (and some already started). For now I think I'll plan some bike rides across the Spanish/French alps so thanks Dutto for the inspiration - she'll love that and we have two friends that I'm sure would join us for that. I've done it on a motorbike a few years back but never by bike so ...
Meanwhile, I'll do my time and smile as every brew is one closer to my next episode ...

My other half, despite whinging about her job says she wants to work longer.
I've made a few attempts at convincing her, but if she wants to work for a couple more years that's up to her.
I've made up my mind. I'm done at 62.

Statistically women live quite a few years longer than men, so is it really any wonder that they try and keep us working as long as possible?

If a man keeps on working he will leave a bigger pension for his Widow and her new Toyboy to enjoy, so logic says that a man should retire early.

Also, if your spouse wishes to keep working after you retire then I suggest that you let her. That way, when she finally retires she will get a bigger pension for you to help her spend when she joins you in retirement.

Cynical? Moi?? Never! :UKflag:

Deep down all you men know that it makes sense! :thumb: :thumb:

All your plans can soon go **** up,as i found this in October last year when they found a heart problem,i can not drive,or fly, still waiting for the hospital to do what needs doing,really didnt need this 5 years before retirement.

All your plans can soon go **** up,as i found this in October last year when they found a heart problem,i can not drive,or fly, still waiting for the hospital to do what needs doing,really didnt need this 5 years before retirement.

Sorry to hear that! It's a funny old world we live in so your recent problems may be a sign that it's time for you to retire?

Only a bit relevant, but this morning I tripped up over the tow-bar on my car at the petrol station, fell over into the next bay and was helped up by a young lad who had bigger muscles on his eyelids than I have on my arms.

At my age I don't bounce as well as I used to do, so when I visited an old schoolmate (who is bedridden and in palliative care) and told him about my little escapade he expressed worry for ME; which is probably why we are still mates after 60+ years!

The thing is that there were five of us celebrating our 70th birthdays five years ago and now there are only four of us and one of them is in palliative care and not expected to see Christmas!

So my advice is "As you never know the day it will all end, enjoy life while you can!"

Crikey Dutto old chap,take it easy!

Sorry, but I'm feeling a bit maudlin at the moment (it's almost certainly the Oatmeal Stout) and although I know that I'm going to live forever, I worry about my nearest and dearest!

Moshe Dayan, an Israeli military leader, was once asked "What do you want people to think of you when you die?" and he replied ...

"I thought the whole purpose of dying was that you didn't care what people thought of you!"

Brilliant, a reason for dying, but today has been a rough day so time for bed methinks! Nite nite! :thumb:

Having been "involuntarily retired" (b***t**ds!) for the third time around age 57, I bumped along doing my own thing - odd jobs etc for several years until I told my neighbour when I was 63 - that's the last time I go up a ladder for anyone else. - he being a year younger than me, not being able to manage it.... Since then we've sold our old camper that we'd had for 14 years and I have been self building ( and using whilst stil 1/3, 1/2 etc built) the new camper that we wanted but couldn't afford to pay anyone elses stupid prices for. Not rushing it, enjoying every day of freeodom from any form of being beholden on time to anyone else. going where we want when we want, oh and icing on the cake, income now quadrupled since state pension arrived. Pinch myself evrey morning to make sure this is still happening, enjoy the pint of homebrew with dinner most evenings. If you get the chance - go for it !

... enjoy life while you can!"
Na. With all this going on? Far better idea is to hide under the table with a heavy cloth over your head, hugging your knees and swaying gently from side-to-side.

Na. With all this going on? Far better idea is to hide under the table with a heavy cloth over your head, hugging your knees and swaying gently from side-to-side.

I think we've all had days like that! :laugh8: :laugh8:

The problem is "commitments"! Wife, kids, parents, friends, neighbours etc, they all stack up! aheadbutt

My favourite advert on TV is the one where the bloke says "How can I afford six thousand pounds for a funeral when I die?"

It will be easy for him! After someone has died they can afford anything they like!

Even SWMBO has promised me that, after I die, I can have ALL the brewing gear I desire! :thumb::thumb:

I'm off back under the table to consider this fact and start a list of what I will need! :laugh8:

As most of you will be aware I had my serious health scare this year along with a major operation,5 months on I'm only just getting over it having turned 65 last month.Anyway last week I had my critical care follow up health check and happened to tell the doctor I can now drink a few pints a night which after losing my stomach I'm thrilled with,upon hearing this he proceeds to ramble on about the dangers this could do to my health,speechless I wasn't I can tell you.my advice to all you retirees is bloody enjoy it as you don't know when your toes will curl up.age isn't the problem its the side effects that come with them

As most of you will be aware …
Ooo … more grist for my "low alcohol beer" rambling mill? athumb..

I'm always looking for new converts to read my ramblings, comment on them and perhaps even kick off new ramblings. 'Cos there isn't a huge amount out there and I haven't a quick enough turnaround to rapidly develop new ideas. I'm working on ways to reduce my minimum size brew length to improve turnover (even stepping back to "BIAB" techniques - although I haven't gone completely retro and plumped for "brew in a <stainless steel basket>") but you can't beat "crowd" contributions.

Here go (if you haven't seen it already): https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/peebees-brewday-low-alcohol-beer.77965/.

Research commercial real ales and try to emulate them, gardening, foreign holidays, UK holidays, tell pubs how to improve...

Back