Retirement (Thatcher)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that you will find a more appropriate statement is:

"She administered the medicine that saved the UK from becoming a third world country; and told everyone that it was 'the cure for all ills'."
Fixed that for you.

If you live your life yearning for the good old days of the 70's when the UK was the sick man of Europe and the unions ran this country but at least things were "egalitarian", the only thing I can say is be careful what you wish for
What happened to people of a few hard hit sectors was very unfortunate, the government simply could not support nonviable industries for the purpose of simply maintaining make-work jobs.
In 1979 Britain’s GDP per capita hadn’t grown for 10 years. No business or country can survive if its costs are equal or greater than its income.

Argh!!!! Brilliant, a Thatcher thread!!!

I find it interesting that the further you live from the areas that Maggie's policies had the most effect on (UK, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland & Argentina) the more popular she is.

I have to hand it to her though, she managed to unify both communities in Northern Ireland for a while.
Loyalists, Unionists, Republicans & Nationalists.

All of them thought she was a wagon.

Argh!!!! Brilliant, a Thatcher thread!!!

I find it interesting that the further you live from the areas that Maggie's policies had the most effect on (UK, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland & Argentina) the more popular she is.

Its a bit like watching a game of football, from the sidelines you can see more of what is going on than a person who is playing.

Its a bit like watching a game of football, from the sidelines you can see more of what is going on than a person who is playing.

I haven't watched Aussie Rules football (or the International rules thingy) in a while.

I didn't realise part of the game was gutting the industrial North of England & Scotland.
Destroying entire communities and not providing them with an alternative source of work.
Alienating the population in Northern Ireland, needlessly prolonging the Troubles.

I thought Aussie rules was running after a rugby ball and kickin the **** out of each other.

Two things your not allowed o do in Aussie Rules, kick someone or kill someone.
As I said a couple of posts ago it is unfortunate that some community's were hurt, its possible that the likes of Wilson, Heath or Callaghan had taken steps to stop the rot the outcome may not have been so severe.

Damn, if it keeps going up by the time I hit retirement I’ll be 90 or something.
I’m only 34 now.

I do think that jobs requiring a certain level of physical aptitude should cap their retirement ages low though. Mainly for the safety of the worker. Fireman was a good example earlier.

also can I just ask out of curiosity, who is the ‘milk snatcher’? And why is she called that?

Margaret Thatcher was the milk snatcher because she stopped kids getting free milk at school. We we would find in time that she had a lot more nastiness to come, a truly evil woman and this country is still suffering from the damage that her government presided over. Just take a look at the old pit villages up and down the country still suffering to this day. The current tory government still waiving the flag for neoliberalism, a failed ideology that is still being pushed.

I am not a thatcher fan but I do not think she was evil that is a strong word that only befits a certain type of person also not all the working class suffered it did give some of them the opportunities to get out of ordinary jobs

To 90% of folk who lived north of the watford gap she was a wicked witch.
Hence all the "Ding dong the wicked witch is dead" street parties at her demise.

Some of the working class did indeed get out of ordinary jobs,They got out of having ANY kind of job at all.

Refering to the steel town Consett many aged 30yrs+ men never worked full time again.
Eventually old age retirement and a pension is what eased thier suffering.

Many northern TOWNS not just pit villages have STILL not fully recovered to this day.!!!
And we are now talking about getting on for 40yrs.

She had her fans its true to say.But never in British history has any prime minister from any party before or since been so despised by so many of the people.
It wasnt just dislike or unpopular, It was hatred.

As I said I am not and never will be a Thatcher fan and I was replying to a post from somebody who was using words "evil" that did not befit a PM who rightly or wrongly thought she was doing the best for her country as all other previous Pm's have done and PM's since, and as regards 90% of people from the north thinking she was wicked I do not know where you get those figures from as that only left 10% to vote the Conservatives in. My Father and Grandfather were both miners all their lives and so was my wifes Father and Grandfather and so was myself so I think I can speak with more knowledge regards the thoughts of the people in those areas than most and if you look at where I live under my avatar you will see it was probably one of the strongest mining towns in the UK, I will repeat I am no fan of her but I know plenty of miners who have done very well out of the situation and do you know why because it made them get off their ar£$% and do something else rather than wallowing in the situation, some and I say some of the ones that do complain are the ones that were too lazy to get a job or wanted a job that involved minimum work

I think we might be on the wrong thread Chippy split this one up.Sorry in advance if we are.

Just checked we are on the wrong thread.Sorry

Latest posts

Back