Retirement.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Should the government raise the retirement age to 75 when our life expectancy seems to have hit its high and it looks like its now coming down?

Not long for me now (7 years) I feel sorry for those who may have to work till they drop.

From the guardian -
British adults’ life expectancy has been cut by six months in the biggest reduction in official longevity forecasts.

The Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, which calculates life expectancy on behalf of the UK pension industry, declined to speculate on why longevity is deteriorating for men and women in England and Wales. Some analysts, however, blame austerity and cuts in NHS spending, others point to worsening obesity, dementia and diabetes.

Last edited:
I took early retirement at 63 the house is paid for, I consider myself and family very lucky, I am not minted but not skink, I feel for both my kids and the thousands like them who cannot get on the housing ladder, (don't get me going on the why and were fore's of this ) 75 is ok if you sit on your **** all day pushing a keyboard I worked in 2 foundrys then a very busy bakery, I would love to see the f--kwits who dreamed this up do it

I took early retirement at 63 the house is paid for, I consider myself and family very lucky, I am not minted but not skink, I feel for both my kids and the thousands like them who cannot get on the housing ladder, (don't get me going on the why and were fore's of this ) 75 is ok if you sit on your a**e all day pushing a keyboard I worked in 2 foundrys then a very busy bakery, I would love to see the f--kwits who dreamed this up do it
No, it really isn't ok 'if you sit on your a**e all day pushing a keyboard' to have to retire at 75. It isn't ok for anyone to have to. However it appears that a generation (or two) were allowed to live on the never never, and that is going to have to be paid for by those coming after them. Also, guess what - if you don't put enough in, you can't take it out forever and a day

I paid in all my life state and private and like thousands off other I cashed my private one in and did rather well , the kids today don't need a pension they will work till they drop, ask the likes of monsuir Macron and his cronys they know the real truth

Got to be honest I retired when I was 55 after selling up my business. I then had 3 year of catching up with all those jobs that got left behind in the house and garden then built a small pub in my garden and slowly got bored after 3 years. I then got a job again so that I was active for 25/30 hours a week and I love it. It keeps me fit and I am working generally with people younger than me but I do not agree with raising the pension age my wife is a WASPI and has lost out on her pension that she should be drawing no bus pass either so she has to pay for all public transport (she does not drive). I have to wait a further year too for mine, I have already payed my NI to a maximum pension so I am stilling paying into the system for no extra pension?. People should have the choice to retire or not but their pension should be as per the agreement when we started work

With corona virus I won't live that long.

In all seriousness 55 and I am done.
I brazened it out until 62 and thought, "What the hell?" Haven't looked back. I've another five days to go before I draw my OAP (nine months late- the barstewards) if Corona McVirusface doesn't get me first.
Couldn't have afforded to live in the UK, though.

Got to be honest I retired when I was 55 after selling up my business. I then had 3 year of catching up with all those jobs that got left behind in the house and garden then built a small pub in my garden and slowly got bored after 3 years. I then got a job again so that I was active for 25/30 hours a week and I love it. It keeps me fit and I am working generally with people younger than me but I do not agree with raising the pension age my wife is a WASPI and has lost out on her pension that she should be drawing no bus pass either so she has to pay for all public transport (she does not drive). I have to wait a further year too for mine, I have already payed my NI to a maximum pension so I am stilling paying into the system for no extra pension?. People should have the choice to retire or not but their pension should be as per the agreement when we started work
I'm astonished you got bored. I can't find enough hours in the day. Thinking of going back to work for a break! (Only joking on the last bit).

I paid in all my life state and private and like thousands off other I cashed my private one in and did rather well , the kids today don't need a pension they will work till they drop, ask the likes of monsuir Macron and his cronys they know the real truth
In truth, M Macron is trying to raise the pension age from 62 to 64. For some categories of worker, like anyone employed by the railway, it's even earlier. These guys draw their pension and then get another job. No country can afford that.

Hi AA probably got bored because I have always been a mega active person and once I had caught up with all the jobs plus built the pub/bar i then fell into to the watching day time telly especially as the weather in in England is not conducive with getting out a lot, I also started putting weight on so rather than join a gym I thought why not be active and get paid again also the extra went to my private pension I had retired on to give that little more for helping the kids when ever essential. I love my job although it can be bind at times but overall would not be without it. Retirement is just not for me at the moment. The wife is seething over losing hers as she just missed out and is 61 now so another 5 years for her and she feels cheated, another reason to be at work and not at home know what I mean :laugh8:

The wife is seething over losing hers as she just missed out and is 61 now so another 5 years for her and she feels cheated, another reason to be at work and not at home know what I mean
Fair enough. :hat: Building a home brewery/pub was near the top of my priorities and four years later I reckon I can begin to think about getting started. The wife was keen at first, too. Now she fears she'd never see me. Probably right. She's not the "wise one" for nothing.
You're right. She has been cheated. This debate seems to have gone off the boil after the election. Doesn't change the facts, though.

"If you build it they will come" no seriously it gives you a extra reason to brew more as I have 4 pumps on the bar so they need keeping up to speed in the summer plus the kegerator inside has 3. Yes it has gone off the boil I wonder if it will get a mention in the up coming budget? I think she has calculated it at a loss of @ £47k over the 5 /6 years you can understand why they are Pi%%ed off and all I hear from her is what about my bus pass, there's only so many times you can listen to that :laugh8:

I retire in 2 years 4 months, aged 60, and now looking forward to it. Until about five years ago I couldn’t really see myself retiring but over that time the pressures and stresses have increased and now people are working at burnout pace in fear of performance management - takes the enjoyment out of work.

Work has always been demanding but over the last few years I think we’ve lost sight of what matters and I feel sorry for the younger generations that have decades of this ahead of them. Maybe this is life telling me to “move over grandad”!

75 is ok if you sit on your a**e all day pushing a keyboard I worked in 2 foundrys then a very busy bakery, I would love to see the f--kwits who dreamed this up do it

And on the flip side would you want a 74 year old fireman turning up at your house to rescue you from your bedroom window?

It's different age for fire service. I think it's 60 like police.

Makes sense.
There are many jobs where people over 65 would struggle what are they going to do if they can no longer do their job, automation is also predicted to replace 1.5 million jobs surely the retirement age should come down not go up.

Some 1.5 million people in England are at high risk of losing their jobs to automation, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

It says 70% of the roles at high risk of automation are currently held by women. Part-timers and the young are the next most at risk.

The ONS analysed the jobs of 20 million people in 2017 and found 7.4% of these were at high risk of being replaced.

It has developed a "bot" to show the risks for particular occupations.

The ONS defines automation as tasks currently carried out by workers being replaced with technology. That could mean computer programs, algorithms, or even robots.

The three occupations with the highest probability of automation are waiters and waitresses, shelf fillers and elementary sales occupations, all of which are low-skilled or routine.

Those at the lowest risk are medical practitioners, higher education teaching professionals, and senior professionals in education.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47691078

Latest posts

Back