Retiring on £40K, where in the UK would you want to live?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gosh why would you want to leave, I don't know Tacoma but I thought the Pacific Northwest was absolutely stunning. Apart from Bend, Bend was rubbish.

Why would anyone want to retire here if i had enough money to live elsewhere i would, my sister emigrated to Australia many years ago (not somewhere i would like to live) and she loves it i would prefer somewhere a little warmer where it doesn't rain so much.

It all depends on what you apreciate? Culture, city vibe, the great outdoors? Sport, fine dining etc?

Northern ireland offers a lot of scenery and Belfast is buzzy, and it’s comparatively cheap. The weather is absolute ***** though. I think it’s rained every day for two months.

Deven, Cornwall are usually popular options. I’d avoid London and the south east as too expensive property wise.

it’s quite an interesting question. Im From Kent but have lived in Belfast for 20 years now. If we move back at some stage I’ll have the same question myself. i visit family a lot in Kent surry and North Yorkshire, went to college in the midlands but still would have no idea Where to relocate too.

Why would anyone want to retire here if i had enough money to live elsewhere i would, my sister emigrated to Australia many years ago (not somewhere i would like to live) and she loves it i would prefer somewhere a little warmer where it doesn't rain so much.
Plenty of room around here, Chippy, the weather's gorgeous: proper sunny when it's sunny and proper cold when it's cold. Often both in the same day. When it rains, it pisses down and then it's done. You've got until the end of December to establish residency under the old (EU member state) rules.

Where would I move to in the UK?
I've spent loads of time down in Devon and Cornwall....it's wild coast and countryside,the small towns and villages...all stunning! But beware the tourists in peak season if you want a quiet life.
Had lots of hols in Yorkshire...a lovely place.
Scotland...a wild and wonderful place,had fantastic breaks almost all over.
I'd probably like somewhere a bit quiet with some fishing nearby..

Plenty of room around here, Chippy, the weather's gorgeous: proper sunny when it's sunny and proper cold when it's cold. Often both in the same day. When it rains, it pisses down and then it's done. You've got until the end of December to establish residency under the old (EU member state) rules.

I love coincidences, i read what the OP posted to SWMBO a few minutes ago and she said if it was you where would you go and i said France its a country i have never visited but i intend to one day, a guy at work who like me is interested in WW2 (the Normandy landings etc) has been many times and loves it.

As others have said there are too many variables to give a definitive suggestion. Me personally, I grew up in London, but moved away at my earliest opportunity, first to university, then working in various cities around the country. Now in my early 50's I am considering moving somewhere more rural when I retire. I have no restrictions geographically, so can take my pick, I remember whilst working in Scotland, meeting a retired couple from London, who moved on a whim to the Highlands, north of Inverness and loved it, despite the sometimes challenging weather conditions. I suspect my ambitions will be more modest, perhaps the edge of the Cotswolds, to a pretty yellow stone village with a pub and a cottage with room to brew in.

To echo what so many here have said, the UK for its relatively small size is a remarkably diverse place, and much will depend on what you are used to and what you would like. Generally Scotland is wetter but is a healthy place to live with clean air, great facilities and a good road and rail infrastructure at least in the central belt and East coast cities and surroundings. £40K without tax or mortgage sounds easily comfortable in almost anywhere but that depends again on what you plan on spending your time doing. You may find your capital sum is more restricting on where you stay since property prices are very variable not just on urban/rural but areas of the country. While yes we might all grump about the unstable sittuation with Brexit and services, we are a country that respects the rule of law, don't have violent or gun crime in any remote way that the US does, and a health service that is really pretty good (personally I reckon Scotland's NHS is pretty fab but I may be a bit biased).

Despite some unpleasant rhetoric in recent years from some segments of society, what defines Britishness over history has been a Borg like assimilation of all who would come to stay, cultures, people and languages end up being woven into the weft of the UK over time. In my experience those that come to stay find themselves welcomed in communities. Though sadly at present there are exceptions in some areas related to language and skin colour, I believe these to be the genuine exceptions and don't reflect the country as a whole.

Anna

Last edited:
As others have said there are too many variables to give a definitive suggestion. Me personally, I grew up in London, but moved away at my earliest opportunity, first to university, then working in various cities around the country. Now in my early 50's I am considering moving somewhere more rural when I retire. I have no restrictions geographically, so can take my pick, I remember whilst working in Scotland, meeting a retired couple from London, who moved on a whim to the Highlands, north of Inverness and loved it, despite the sometimes challenging weather conditions. I suspect my ambitions will be more modest, perhaps the edge of the Cotswolds, to a pretty yellow stone village with a pub and a cottage with room to brew in.
Just take over the pub. Several birds killed with one stone. 😊

Devon is a nice place to live but UK winters are wet and coldish. Go and live in southern Italy or France.

God knows what would happen in 10 years, perhaps repost in 8 years.
But 10 years does give you plenty of time to learn Welsh if you decided to move to Wales.
You’d just be scratching the surface in 10 years. 😉

As a half-serious reply, South Wales has some beautiful places and with global warming and the Gulf Stream, I can’t see them having terrible winters, not compared to PNW USA...

The South of Wales is traditionally more welcoming to non-Welsh and if you fancied opening as a little B&B, there will only be more trade in years to come as the £ devalues and foreign travel gets dearer and dearer.

The place I’ve been most impressed with in the last few years is Northumberland. Absolutely stunning coastline, beautiful countryside, vibrant market towns and warm, friendly people. The only drawback is the weather! I also love Suffolk. Again, a beautiful coast, and some of the nicest villages and towns in the UK. I like Devon and Cornwall, but would hate the millions of visitors every summer.

How about residency on "The World" Cruise ship

You probably have already looked but if not check it out.

Back