Reusing PET bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
From my recent beer swaps I've got a few PET bottles which I'm keen to reuse for swaps again as obviously they're lighter than glass and cheaper to post.
Can I reuse the caps or should I buy new?
Cheers
Clint

Reuse them. The bottom seal that cracks when you open a PET bottle for the first time I don't think is needed to create a gas tight seal.

I'm regularly using Cooper's PET bottles I bought years ago with the original tops.

I also had about 50 green PET bottles bought around the same time which went in the recycling bin as the layers were delaminating.

Reuse them. The bottom seal that cracks when you open a PET bottle for the first time I don't think is needed to create a gas tight seal.
I think this is just a tamper-proof thing as the bottom ring will come off if it is screwed on properly at first use.

I'm regularly using Cooper's PET bottles I bought years ago with the original tops.
I also had about 50 green PET bottles bought around the same time which went in the recycling bin as the layers were delaminating.
That's interesting. I have a batch of Youngs, brown PETs which take crown corks. Two problems, the punt at the bottom inverts under any decent pressure and it's impossible to push it back, and the structure of the bottle delaminates after a number of uses. I've never had that problem with Perier bottles. Very disappointing.

The ones I sent you Clint are probably 10 years old and used many many times, as for the postage being cheaper I'm not so sure, I think it cost me the same as you to send two bottles.

Hello all
From my recent beer swaps I've got a few PET bottles which I'm keen to reuse for swaps again as obviously they're lighter than glass and cheaper to post.
Can I reuse the caps or should I buy new?
Cheers
Clint
No worries about them getting broken in the post either.
I always reuse the same caps after cleaning and sanitising.

I'm now determined to reuse my PET bottles until I see a similar failure, I really can't imagine what a delaminated PET bottle looks like.

That's just to show it hasn't been opened before.

I use 2L bottles. No issues re using tops. Sometimes I need to tighten a little when tidying up the beer storage shed but there's no leaks. Best thing about PET is I never worry about over carbing.

Best thing about PET is I never worry about over carbing.

I have managed this once, the pressure pushed out the fancy nobbly bottom until it was a outwards facing smooth dome. Its really hard to imagine single cell organisms developing that sort of strength.

With some very gradual opening the beer still went down the cake hole though :-)

I've reused mine after cleaning and sanatising and didn't get any problems. Am planning on using them time after time really.
Do you find that it is hard to get rid of the aroma of the previous beer?, I've tried washing with hot water and Fairy, plus a couple of hot rinses and the smell stays. What do you do to remove the smell? - I don't want it to influence the next brew - I have the same challenge with the fermentation bucket (also plastic). My wife works in food manufacturing and says that this is the problem with plastics, she reckons stainless steel FV and glass bottles are the only way to go.

Do you find that it is hard to get rid of the aroma of the previous beer?, I've tried washing with hot water and Fairy, plus a couple of hot rinses and the smell stays. What do you do to remove the smell? - I don't want it to influence the next brew - I have the same challenge with the fermentation bucket (also plastic). My wife works in food manufacturing and says that this is the problem with plastics, she reckons stainless steel FV and glass bottles are the only way to go.
I have been rinsing out and then cleaning them using a Chemclean solution with a bottle washer and again rinsing thoroughly afterwards. Then use the bottle washer to sanatise them with Star San before use.

Hi southdowns, i would not use fairy it's hard to get rid of even after rinsing several time's, when i empty a pet i rinse the bottle straight away loosely fit the top then sanitise in the normal way after washing

Back