Reusing yeast with hop bits in it

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Badger

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm assuming that pitching yeast from a previous brew that contain the remnants of dry hopping is not a good idea. If it's fine, then please tell me now!

Otherwise, can you just filter the hop bits out? For example scoop up a jar of yeast when you have emptied the fermenter, then pour it through a sieve/put a nylon stocking over the mouth of the jar to filter out the bits when you pitch it into the next brew. Presuming there isn't an obvious flaw with this would a sieve or something finer be best? And if the answer is nylon stockings, what's the best way to sanitise them - bleach, boiling or something else?

I have no qualms about re-pitching yeast with small amounts of hop residue. It's not likely to introduce infection, and the very small amount of residue isn't going to have any perceptible effect on the flavour of the next brew. But I dry-hop by putting the hops in a bag first. If you just put a lot of loose hops into the fermentor, then, personally, I would not re-pitch the yeast.
I sterilise (well, for all practical purposes) my hop bags by boiling for a few minutes.

add some cooled preboiled water to the yeast at the bottom of the fv, then swirl gently until all the yeast is in suspension. Leave it to sit for 5 minutes, then pour into a sanitised bottle or jar. I use a carafe type bottle with a large top. Most of the hop debris should be left in the fermenter. Again allow the yeast to sit in the bottle for 5 minutes and the remaining hop debris should sink to the bottom. Pour the yeast off into your next brew or another bottle.

Latest posts

Back