Reverse Osmosis Water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While the current president seems to confer that America has regressed into a third-world nation, I'm pretty sure that the tap water in the US is as 'pure' as it is in England.
Unless you live in Flint, Michigan

I get my RO water from an aquarium store and for the convenience of it
I keep meaning to check that out to see if it's an option round my way, I currently dilute my tap water with Tesco Ashbeck bottled water.

I looked at Spotless Water who setup locations with self serve petrol pump style RO dispensers for windows cleaners and the like, which would be ideal as it's only 3p ex vat per litre, however their website FAQ section has this:

Is the water drinkable?
The filling stations have not been approved or built to standards for human consumption.

I asked them if it would be suitable for brewing given that it'll be boiled they said "Unfortunately as we haven't had the water tested for human consumption, we cannot comment on whether it is suitable for home brewing." however they then said "we do have plans to have this checked in order for us to open up to a wider range of markets. We will keep you updated on progress."

I wondered if they are just **** covering, or whether something like Legionnaires disease might be an issue? as I guess the water will be sitting in a tank for a while and they have heaters to stop it freezing in the winter.
They're not open near me yet anyway, but I'll keep an eye on it if they ever do.

Not come across Spotless Water before - there's one near me.

This would work out a lot cheaper than buying 5L bottles from ASDA, Tesco etc. and is much more environmentally friendly.

Other than using non food grade materials in the storage tank, RO system I can't really see how this would be risky for brewing purposes, anyone got any other thoughts?

I found another place near me that sells RO water for window cleaners and aquariums.

I phoned to ask if it would be suitable for brewing and the bloke went all weird and couldn't get me off the phone quick enough, he said something along the lines of they're not an information line and he wouldn't know what happens if you consume it.

I wonder if that's just because he doesn't know people use RO water for brewing, or if there's some risk or reason why water from these places wouldn't be suitable?

I can only repeat that my experience with RO water bought from an aquarium shop has been completely positive. It may be that although the RO process in itself carries no risks (it is after all, just a form of ultra filtration), the storage after the process may give them cause for caution.

But as far as I am concerned that's academic. The water is boiled for an hour in my brews and is as safe (maybe safer, given that there are no chemical additions) as the tap water I blend it with.

David

I found another place near me that sells RO water for window cleaners and aquariums.

I ended up getting some from this place last week as I can’t see any difference between that and doing it myself except it’s a lot less hassle getting it from him.
He was still a bit wary when I said it was for brewing as he said you're not really supposed to drink it, but I explained that lots of breweries and homebrewers use RO water and he relaxed a bit after that. So I think his reservations were more about human consumption of RO water in general rather than any particular safety concerns about his equipment.
He said his storage tank would be flushed through several times a day with the amount he supplies to window cleaners, so it's not being stored for any length of time.

It worked out at £10 for up to 200L, I’ve got 100L for now as I’m not sure if I’ve got storage space for more, but that’s still 10p per litre which is cheaper than the Tesco Ashbeck I was buying. He also sold me the 25L containers for £4 each which I can get refilled next time.

I ended up getting some from this place last week as I can’t see any difference between that and doing it myself except it’s a lot less hassle getting it from him.
He was still a bit wary when I said it was for brewing as he said you're not really supposed to drink it, but I explained that lots of breweries and homebrewers use RO water and he relaxed a bit after that. So I think his reservations were more about human consumption of RO water in general rather than any particular safety concerns about his equipment.
He said his storage tank would be flushed through several times a day with the amount he supplies to window cleaners, so it's not being stored for any length of time.

It worked out at £10 for up to 200L, I’ve got 100L for now as I’m not sure if I’ve got storage space for more, but that’s still 10p per litre which is cheaper than the Tesco Ashbeck I was buying. He also sold me the 25L containers for £4 each which I can get refilled next time.

That's a decent price. I'm paying 14p / litre for mine but I'm happy with that because as you say, it's a lot easier than doing it oneself

David

Bump. Thinking of getting a job load of RO water to trial before I go for a plumbed in brita tap sytem. Would be Interested to here if people are still going down this route.

I used to use ashbec which was fine, but because of supply issues bought A standard brita filter, as my tap water tasted **** but wasnt to bad softness wise for pale ales etc. Very happy with the jug filter but it’s a massive faff collecting 25 litres so thinking of getting a plumbed in one for all round convenience. However I’d like to check out a couple of RO brews first in Case that’s where I ultimately end up.

my Mrs reminded me me that I built up a collection of about 100 swing tops bottles quite quickly , and that they were hardly used before being made obsolete when I immediately went to kegs! So I want to rule RO in or out before getting the brita tap system.

ill probably try and source some RO locally to see how it goes but would be interested in hearing people’s thoughts!

also, I’ve gypsum and CC, to hand, what else would I need to build up to a water profile for place ales? Can it be bought in one solution? ( zinc magnesium, etc all in one)

cheers.

ive found out I can get some locally quite cheap so will give it a go.

can anyone link me to somewhere I can find the mineral additions I need to build up? I’ll be targeting a profile for an american pale ale, with a wee bit of crystal in. Highly hopped.

if I can pick something up at Holland and Barret, all the better as there is one round the corner

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back