Reverse Osmosis Water

Discussion in 'Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water' started by Mrobson, Apr 16, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Apr 24, 2019 #41

MrRock

MrRock

MrRock

Unless you live in Flint, Michigan

2. Apr 24, 2019 #42

MrRock

MrRock

MrRock

I keep meaning to check that out to see if it's an option round my way, I currently dilute my tap water with Tesco Ashbeck bottled water.

I looked at Spotless Water who setup locations with self serve petrol pump style RO dispensers for windows cleaners and the like, which would be ideal as it's only 3p ex vat per litre, however their website FAQ section has this:

Is the water drinkable?
    The filling stations have not been approved or built to standards for human consumption.

I asked them if it would be suitable for brewing given that it'll be boiled they said "Unfortunately as we haven't had the water tested for human consumption, we cannot comment on whether it is suitable for home brewing." however they then said "we do have plans to have this checked in order for us to open up to a wider range of markets. We will keep you updated on progress."

I wondered if they are just a**e covering, or whether something like Legionnaires disease might be an issue? as I guess the water will be sitting in a tank for a while and they have heaters to stop it freezing in the winter.
    They're not open near me yet anyway, but I'll keep an eye on it if they ever do.

3. Apr 24, 2019 #43

Tunabeast

Tunabeast

Tunabeast

Not come across Spotless Water before - there's one near me.

This would work out a lot cheaper than buying 5L bottles from ASDA, Tesco etc. and is much more environmentally friendly.

Other than using non food grade materials in the storage tank, RO system I can't really see how this would be risky for brewing purposes, anyone got any other thoughts?