Rhino 90cm x 90cm x 54cm 200 litre bottle cooler - Bournemouth

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bertie Doe

Reaction score
I'm a beer and ale drinker but I do like the occasional refreshing lager. I've seen some of the homemade coolers in the forums but DIY electrics is nor my scene.

I got quite excited this morning when I spotted a guy on ebay, with 3 units for sale - pickup only. I measured up the back of the car and found I could get the cooler in with inches to spare - with the back seats down. They're 12 to 18 months old and he wants £180 each.

I'm going to Bournemouth on Wednesday, my wife has to take some sort of exam, so I'll be kicking my heels for 4 hours. However, before sending him a PM with contact details (maybe discount for cash) I checked on the price new. They're about £480 and clearly aimed at the rear counter pub/hotel market. Problem is, the quoted consumption is 2.68 kwh per day. 40p per day sounds ok but that's about £140 per anum - ouch. Temperature range is between 3C and 8C but the running costs are a killer. What's the team think?

What's wrong with the fridge?

Good idea, a fridge would be cheaper to run as the door would be better insulated. Also the Rhino display bottle cooler, uses 2 fans to keep the air circulating.

Where you thinking along the lines of a commercial fridge, large enough for the fermenter. If you know of any brands, I'll look out for one 2nd hand. Thanks.

If you mean a fridge to ferment and lager in. most small fridges will do if they don't have a hump in the back fir the compressor. I got an under counter one of freegle. Then make temp control with stc1000 or plug and play inkbird.

If you mean a fridge to ferment and lager in. most small fridges will do if they don't have a hump in the back fir the compressor. I got an under counter one of freegle. Then make temp control with stc1000 or plug and play inkbird.
Ah thanks, a quick Google has found "STC1000 Temperature Controller (a beginner’s guide)" It seems you can get a STC on Ebay for about a tenner.

Latest posts

Back