Rhubarb and Ginger Cider help.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabby_patty

Reaction score
Made this on the 14/5 and is now in the garage awaiting priming.
Recipe:
2kg Rhubarb
250g Taj frozen crushed ginger.
Heated in a pan with 200g sugar ,water and spoon of pectolase.
Left overnight and strained in the morning providing 2.6 l of Juice to this was added,
1 l of strong tea
Good squeeze of lemon juice
5tsp pectolase
Sachet of cider yeast and sweetener from Ebay
1l of Cawstons apple and rhubarb
Made the rest up to 23l with Aldi apple juice then added more to make 25l once initial fermentation had died down .
OG 1 042 FG 1.000 ABV 5.5% maybe 6% once primed
Im expecting 23l once racked and was planning on batch priming with a 1l of Cawstons Apple + Ginger and 1l of Cawstons Apple + Rhubarb.
Iv never batch primed before so does this seem ok or will i be making bottle bombs ? Will be bottling in Aldi Cider bottles and some swing tops . Total sugar added to make up to 25l would be 190g according to the back of the cartons. I do want it to be quite fizzy but not dangerous .
15905782940874050914123643763190.jpg

Attachments

• 1590578350844162704146854357138.jpg
    1590578350844162704146854357138.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 74
I’ve looked at the labels of the juices you intend to add and agree that there will be 190g of sugar added for priming purposes.

I’ve made cider for around 5 years, from shop purchased juice, homeBrew kits and actual pressed juice. I’ve always primed with sugar dissolved in a small amount of boiling water at a rate of 10g of sugar per litre of final brew.

I’ve always used either Kopperberg or Magners bottles. I don’t have any experience of swing top bottles.

It takes around 1 to 2 weeks to get a fully carbonated product.

I find if I open the bottles at room temp that they can be lively, but chilled for a few hours they are nice and fizzy.

I don’t like warm cider, or cider served on ice.

Hope this helps.

All bottled and hopefully priming . I had a taste and think this should be a good un. Ill post results in a couple of weeks.

Hi Crabby_patty,

Have you sampled this yet?

How much water did you put in with the rhubarb when you stewed it?

A neighbour of mine has just given me 2.5kg of rhubarb and I was going to try your recipe.

I’ve stewed the rhubarb with <0.5 litres of water and 200g of sugar.

i couldn’t be bothered to separate out 250g of Taj Ginger so I bunged in the entire 400g.

i haven’t put any pectolase in, because I don’t mind cloudy cider, so can the strained mush be used for puddings, crumble or compote?

Many thanks,

Shirley

Hi Shirley ,
Yes , tried it yesterday its still a bit cloudy but im happy with it . The rhubarb flavour is there but not much ginger which is strange as before i fermented it was strong ginger so next time ill put the whole pack in same as you . Its also got a biscuit taste at the end from somewhere so im calling it Rhubarb crumble .
Iv been using the pulp and had no problems.

Matt

Latest posts

Back