Rhubarb and Gooseberry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_S_Jerusalem

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well folks, I’ve had a few tins of Rhubarb floating around for a while, found a couple of dented ones in random shops and my girlfriend picked up a handful a while ago from Tesco.
Then, lo and behold there appeared 3 more tins of gooseberries.
Well, today I did the only thing I could do with these 9 tins of wonder.
Rhubarb and Gooseberry Wine folks, 3 gallon.
Pitching the yeast tomorrow, as usual an exciting moment lol.

The tinned gooseberry one I made the other month was a massive success, so I have high hopes for this one.

Sounds very interesting, look forward to hearing how this turns out.
Our gooseberries are looking good this year, but the rhubarb didn't do huge amounts so I made a spicy rhubarb and plum chutney, ageing still for at least four months.

Ooooh that chutney sounds cracking. Have to get some nice cheese in for that one. My favourite is Snowdonia Black Bomber.

Yes alas I do not have a rhubarb bush (?) or a gooseberry bush, and I’ll be damned if I’m shelling out the moolah for that many gooseberries and rhubarb stalks for 3 gallons from Tesco, so tins it was lol.

Tins is the new thing for me lol. Tins and tea. Cheap but effective. I like tinned fruit so much I’ve totally gone off wine kits, bloomin’ rip off.

Well folks, it finished and I bottled it because basically I don’t like leaving it lying around.

Aaaaaannnnd one of the bottles didn’t fit in my box so I fridged it 2 days ago, today I thought sod it, yeah it’s young but the bottle shape is a pain in the ass lol so I’m drinking it.

Now usually the stuff I make is like OK. No surprises but also no wow factor.

Weirdly, this stuff is seriously the cats pyjamas lol. It’s light, it’s sharp but friendly, it lingers on the tongue in a slightly dry way. It’s lovely. So pleased with this one. And just from some tins from the supermarket.

And it took like 3.5 weeks to finish lol. It’s mental.

Back