Rhubarb, rhubarb......

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissyr63

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder if someone could offer advice and what to do next and when?
So this year planted a few seeds of rhubarb - some worked some didn't. But I've potted them on and now have 5 bushy and healthy looking plants in 6 inch pots.
I want to grow them on in about 30lt pots next year (can't get them into ground) and hopefully get some rhubarb early next year. When is the best time to repot them ? Do I need to cut them back (seems you shouldn't take any the first year but not clear what you should do).

All advice appreciated.

I don't know about where you are I split mine last spring, they don't die back here, I get as much fruit in winter as in summer. They send roots deep down so I would definitely be putting them into a bigger pot now, otherwise the roots will be coming out the bottom of the pot.

In West London - do they grow through the winter? Just assumed they died back and then sprouted up early next year.
Yes the roots are coming out the bottom of the pots so will pot on asap.

I grow rhubarb on my allotment. Last and this were poor years so I dug it all up and replanted three of the better roots and now they look as if they have taken well, after a summer of watering. As far as growing rhubarb in pots I have no experience of this but I can say that the roots go deep so 30 litres, may not be big enough. Certainly the RHS recommend pots at least 500mm deep.
Anyway you will find shortly that the top growth dies back leaving the crown from which new growth will emerge next year. Be very sparing of how much you pick in the first year and in any case I suggest you pick no more after early summer to allow the plants to build up and sustain a root structure

Gave my rhubarb a bloody good feed today, and mulch, got some seedlings almost ready to go in where I thought the last lot had failed, but they are made of sterner stuff. They have reappeared this spring.
001.JPG

Latest posts

Back