Rhubarb Sour Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 23602

Landlord.
Reaction score
You heard me right, I want to make a Rhubarb Sour Beer.

I'm a massive fan of sours and I want to give one a go. But there will be some conditions. I am still and will be using a beer kit, which one, I don't yet know. Which is why I'm here looking for some Jedi guidance from the folks that know.

Most sour beers use a Brettanomyces strain of yeast, after the normal beer yeast has taken it's course. This creates the acids that make the beer sour. You do need to be anal about your cleaning and sanitising afterwards to kill every brett cell from your equipment, or everything you make will go sour.

Most sour beers use a Brettanomyces strain of yeast, after the normal beer yeast has taken it's course. This creates the acids that make the beer sour. You do need to be anal about your cleaning and sanitising afterwards to kill every brett cell from your equipment, or everything you make will go sour.
Thanks for that! I tend to be quite anal when it comes to cleaning my brewing equipment, so should be fine.

Most of this is inaccurate I'm afraid. Some sour beers do use brettanomyces but it isn't responsible for souring. Sour beers need a bacteria culture to produce lactic acid (amongst other things) which is where the sourness comes from. Also when it comes to cleaning I'm not convinced brett is any more resilient than sacch strains. As long as your usual cleaning regime is good you shouldn't have to do anything different.

Most of this is inaccurate I'm afraid. Some sour beers do use brettanomyces but it isn't responsible for souring. Sour beers need a bacteria culture to produce lactic acid (amongst other things) which is where the sourness comes from. Also when it comes to cleaning I'm not convinced brett is any more resilient than sacch strains. As long as your usual cleaning regime is good you shouldn't have to do anything different.
So what can I expect from a sour beer kit if it's to do with bacteria culture as I'm guessing the bacteria in my kitchen, airing cupboard and shed differ from yours and Mangrove Jacks distribution centre?

So what can I expect from a sour beer kit if it's to do with bacteria culture as I'm guessing the bacteria in my kitchen, airing cupboard and shed differ from yours and Mangrove Jacks distribution centre?
As prog99 says, it's probably pre-soured wort so it just needs fermented as usual.

There is nothing on that l8nk that suggests it's pre soured. I would contact them. It says it's a 'style'beer which to me suggests it's not the real deal

There is nothing on that l8nk that suggests it's pre soured. I would contact them. It says it's a 'style'beer which to me suggests it's not the real deal
Do you what I should be looking for in particular that would make it a pre-soured kit?

Unless I went with something more like this?
That kit is all grain rather than extract.

I'd stick with the Mangrove Jack's Berliner kit or another simple kit & use some lactic acid to sour it. Saves faffing around with bacteria.

As for the fruit addition, I'm going with adding 1.5kg of rhubarb to 21 litres around 7 days after pitching yeast. The rhubarb is currently chopped & frozen but I'll defrost the night before. I'm not sure whether to add a bit of Starsan or vodka to sanitise it before adding as I've had some infection issues with adding fruit in the past.

That kit is all grain rather than extract.

I'd stick with the Mangrove Jack's Berliner kit or another simple kit & use some lactic acid to sour it. Saves faffing around with bacteria.

As for the fruit addition, I'm going with adding 1.5kg of rhubarb to 21 litres around 7 days after pitching yeast. The rhubarb is currently chopped & frozen but I'll defrost the night before. I'm not sure whether to add a bit of Starsan or vodka to sanitise it before adding as I've had some infection issues with adding fruit in the past.
Thanks man. For the Rhubarb, I was going to boil it with a bit of sugar and add it in a bag about 5 days before bottling.

Thanks man. For the Rhubarb, I was going to boil it with a bit of sugar and add it in a bag about 5 days before bottling.
Just realised my previous comment wasn't very clear. The Mangrove Jack's kit is already soured so won't need lactic acid. An alternative is to buy a non-soured kit & use lactic acid to sour it to taste (a rough idea would be around 20ml in 20 odd litres). I'm sure you probably worked out what I meant but didn't want you ruining a perfectly good beer on my account!

I thought about cooking it but really want to keep the zingy tartness that fresh rhubarb has. I'll let you know what I end up doing.

Latest posts

Back