Rhubarb & Watermelon wine.

Discussion in 'Wine & Cider Brewdays!' started by Richie_asg1, May 25, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. May 25, 2019 #1

Richie_asg1

Richie_asg1

Richie_asg1

Just started this one off yesterday, but it's a 2 part effort and my timing is off.

102_6292.JPG

Recipe -

1.3 kg frozen thin sliced rhubarb
    1 medium large watermelon (produced 3.7kg pulp)
    2.5l bottled water
    1.8kg white sugar
    1 lime, juice and zest
    1/2 tsp grape tannin
    GV2 yeast 1/2 pk.

Will make 10L split into two 5L water bottles.

All the sugar added to the frozen rhubarb which takes 3 days to soak. This will then be added to the watermelon.
    Watermelon was sliced, scooped then blended in the tub with a hand blender just to break it all up into a pulp.
    Yeast was then pitched straight away onto it, as it should be sterile. I'm hoping the rhubarb won't start off on it's own as it is in a very thick sugar syrup at the moment which should act as a preservative.

The tubs are 10L each and I copied using them from an american youtuber for the first stage of fruit wines. They aren't 100% airtight, but seal well enough without a risk of the lids exploding.

I can't take an initial gravity reading due to everything being in a pulp, but I will in 3 days when it all gets put into a muslin bag and squished, but the yeast is already multiplying at this stage.

I think there is enough sugar there to hit 11% ABV. Maybe someone can check, and do you think I need pectalase at this point?

I'm hoping the watermelon will cut the acidity of the rhubarb, and they would both produce a rosé wine. The lime just seemed to go with the watermelon in some still drinks.

- lets see what happens.

Chippy_Tea likes this.
  2. May 26, 2019 #2

LeeH

LeeH

LeeH

Landlord. Supporting Member

Subscribe for updates, sounds yum.

3. Jun 6, 2019 #3

Richie_asg1

Richie_asg1

Richie_asg1

Drained the rhubarb last week and rinsed with a little water All the colour came out of it, and it made a very sweet crumble with the addition of some other fresh rhubarb.
    Put the two liquids together into one tub and it fermented out until today. It has slowed down enough to transfer into DJ's or in my case 5L water bottles through a muslin square.

Looks like a strawberry milkshake !

Still no idea on gravity readings because by the time the rhubarb was steeped in a thick sugar syrup and ready the watermelon had almost finished, and all the floaty bits had dropped.

I will try and calculate it based on FG and total sugars at the start.