Rhubarb wine help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up a kg of rhubarb at the Wakefield food festival today and I want to make a rhubarb wine.
Got an idea of a recipes, but wanted to check with the collective knowledge on here before taking the plunge.

1kg rhubarb chopped up and lightly bruised
1kg sultanas chopped up
Chuck it all in a pan with 5l water and boil for 20mins
Add in 1kg sugar and leave it to cool
Put it in a fv with a campden tablet and leave overnight
Add pectolose, wine nutrient and some Young's general purpose wine yeast
Leave at 20c for a week and the rack off in to a 5l water bottle and top up as required. I'll rack at least once more and the bottle and store it for next year.

Based on the above, what sort of OG and FG should I expect. Am shooting for a normal 10-14% abv medium dry wine.

Thanks for any pearls of wisdom!

I picked up a kg of rhubarb at the Wakefield food festival today and I want to make a rhubarb wine.
Got an idea of a recipes, but wanted to check with the collective knowledge on here before taking the plunge.

1kg rhubarb chopped up and lightly bruised
1kg sultanas chopped up
Chuck it all in a pan with 5l water and boil for 20mins
Add in 1kg sugar and leave it to cool
Put it in a fv with a campden tablet and leave overnight
Add pectolose, wine nutrient and some Young's general purpose wine yeast
Leave at 20c for a week and the rack off in to a 5l water bottle and top up as required. I'll rack at least once more and the bottle and store it for next year.

Based on the above, what sort of OG and FG should I expect. Am shooting for a normal 10-14% abv medium dry wine.

Thanks for any pearls of wisdom!

Erm..... you may not find this helpful but you really need to get ( and use ) a hydrometer.

Don't cook the rhubarb. Chop, freeze, thaw and crush. 1 kilo of sultanas gives 700 g of sugar, (and the equivalent of 4 litres of grape juice) so you only need add about 400 g of sugar, otherwise the wine will be horribly sweet.

I have a hydrometer, but wanted a rough idea on sugar volume for when I pop to the shop!

Cheers Tony, I'll stick 500gm sugar in and see what the og is tomorrow and top up if required

Here's an interesting point about rhubarb wine that my old man told me. Because it has a very neutral taste you can mix it one bottle of whisky (750ml) to a demijohn of rhubarb and it will take on the taste of the whisky. It can also be mixed with other white wines with the same effect.

I'll be honest I've not tried it. He also said it's not a particularly nice wine so maybe he was making the best of a bad batch.

I would say that rhubarb has a delicate rather than neutral taste, but it is easily overwhelmed. I made a 'German style' wine including rhubarb and sultanas, but the sultanas dominated the flavour.

You'll all probably gasp in horror, but this has turned into a mixed rose brew!

So I used
1kg rhubarb
1kg sultanas
250gm frozen blueberries (found in freezer)
250gm frozen raspberries (found in freezer)
500gm sugar
Boiled it up for 10mins and left overnight with 2 campden tablets
Squeezed it out through a muslin bag and topped up to 4.5l with boiled water
Cup of tea 2 bags
Pectolose
Wine nutrient
1 Tsp lemon juice
Young's wine yeast

Let it brew and see what happens!!!
OG 1110 - target FG of 1010

Hi guys.
Just after a bit of advice on clearing my wine.

It got racked to a new DJ 3 weeks in after all primary fermentation had finished and quietly forgotten about in the cellar
Was having a reorganise of all the different djs in there and saw it and immediately thought 'that's not cleared very well'
What options do I have this late in to the process to clear it? It's not like cream of beetroot soup, but it is really cloudy still.

Back