Rhubarb wine recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie_asg1

Reaction score
Just about to start a rhubarb wine off would adding sultanas benefit?

Last edited by a moderator:
I made some rhubarb wine last year that turned out very nice. I used 250ml white grape juice concentrate from Wilko. Sultanas can be used as an alternative to grape juice, but have never tried myself, so couldn't advise on quantities etc.

Slightly different, but I saw a recipe for a fruit juice mix that was rhubarb, watermelon and lime, so may have a go at that instead. The acidity of the rhubarb should be cut by the watermelon and they are both similar in colour, the lime and peel should add some citrus notes and maybe glycerin would counteract the dry tartness. A little grape tannin because I like that sensation and may miss it.
How about this?

1kg Rhubarb, fine cut, frozen
1.5l watermelon juice.
1 lime, zest and juice
600g white sugar
1/4 tsp grape tannin
1l water to start
1tsp Glycerin
GV9 White wine yeast.

Thawing rhubarb in a bowl overnight with the sugar to draw out juices, drain, wash with water and squeeze in muslin bag....then make a crumble with apples.
Think I may add the lime zest to the frozen rhubarb at that stage for the sugar to draw out the oils, and add the juice to the mix before straining through muslin so I don't get many bits in the ferment.
Cut back a bit on the sugar as I'm aiming for 11%

Looking at the Watermelon side I found this - https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/301596225
Ingredients
Fresh Watermelon Water 99.8%, Natural Watermelon Flavour 0.2%

Like wtf? - Wouldn't the flavour be in the watermelon juice already that they have to add 0.2% more of it? Does some agrichemical giant produce "Natural watermelon flavour #23" to add to stuff now?
Oh yes - so they do - Delosi Labs produce it - https://delosilabs.com/flavoring/fruits-and-nuts/watermelon-concentrated-flavoring.html
"The closest and truest watermelon you will find. You'll swear we made it from the actual juice."
"
Flavoring Category:

Natural"

inspires confidence - not. asad1

Latest posts

Back