Rhubarb wine yeast recommendations?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funny pun

Reaction score
I’ve been reading threads on this forum for years, but only just got round to registering, so hello and all that.

Planning on putting some rhubarb wine on in the next couple of days and wondering what yeasts people might recommend.

There’s plenty of recipes around here and elsewhere, mostly recommending ec1118 or “champagne yeast”, but I honestly can’t stand the stuff, the fermentation just blows all the flavour out of whatever I’ve brewed with it.

Out of the yeasts I have laying around I was thinking muntons gv5 might be good to preserve the rhubarb flavour, as I find it excellent for medium elderflower wine.

I also have some gv11 which I believe is similar or the same as 71b, and think it might help with the acidity of rhubarb, but I find it takes quite a while to taste good and I’m after a quick maturing brew as I haven’t brewed anything since October last year, and have now completely run out of booze.

Anybody have any suggestions or preferences?

I use Young's Super Wine Yeast Compound for pretty much everything. There might be better options though for flavour and so on.

The world is your lobster.!!!!

I was surprised how well a wine i made with Gervin GV1 turned out.It was an "emergency" purchase as my homebrew shop had just about run out of yeast,
Cleared very,very well and LOW foam.

I always use shampoo yeast as I always prime the bottles to make a fizzy. Did two lots last year, one with elderflowers (my usual) and one with hibiscus petals. Both are very nice, but frankly, I think any wine yeast would do just as good a job.

Thanks for pointing towards the gv1 John, I use a few from that range, but I’ve never tried that one.
Sounds good, reviews say it clears quickly too.
It might be worth me waiting a couple of days to get some if it saves a week or two waiting for the batch to clear later down the line.

Or I could just use finings, I don’t usually as I sort of see it as a bit of a cheat and unnecessary.

The sediment stayed put when racking off as well.
The wine in question was an apple/honey cyser
Overall very well behaved and a nice flavour, As I say I was a bit pleasantly surprised.

Latest posts

Back