rhubarb wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like wise! if anyone has anygood Rhubarb wine recipes id bekeen to know, (Just say that we have nearly 40 Rhubarb plants growing down at my parents allotment :hmm:)

i recently bottled 4 bottles of rhubarb and apple wine, i made this from tinned rhubarb, and to tell you the truth, its not that bad, think it need time to mature, but its alright!

i`ve been searching for a decent recipe and everywhere i look the recipe is different!!!

so i may try this one!!

Rhubarb Wine
2kg Rhubarb
1.2kg Sugar
Pectloase
Tannin
1tsp Yeast Nutrient
1tsp Acid Blend or citric acid
Gervin N0 3 or all purpose yeast.
Chop the rhubarb into chunks and put into a bucket.
Pour the sugar over the top of the rhubarb and leave for 48 hours.
All the juice will drop out of the rhubarb, you may have to stir it a couple of times.
Strain the juice into a demijohn, top up to about seven pints with cold water add the rest of the ingredients and leave in a warm place to ferment out.

found this recipe on line - have read that this method of putting sugar over the rhubarb is best? So i`ll put half a cup of tea in for the tanin and squeeze a lemon for the acid - i have used tea/lemon for wine before and have found it gives a really good balance!!Gonna use an all purpose wine yeast, nutrient and as i have some pectoloase i`ll put some of that in too - i think it helps clear - or stops it looking hazy?

I may double the recipe and add some oranges cut up too - then when i rack into DJ put some cardamon pods in one and star anise in the other!

will post pics of method when i make this over the weekend!

hope this works!!

Dry sugar extraction method is best. Even better, top and tail your rhubarb, cut it into one inch chunks and FREEZE it. Next day, allow to thaw (in your fermenting bucket) and then add the sugar. I wouldn't add tannin and I'd double the pectolase.

Don't add acid!

Rhubarb is high in Oxalic Acid but the dry extraction method brings out the least.

cheers moley -

the start of a workable recipe i hope!!

ok - gonna do the freeze method and leave out the tanin/acid

will keep updating on this thread!!

rickthebrew said:
do i ferment with the rhubarb still in FV or just the juice in the DJ?
No, only leave it 24 - 36 hours then strain off the sugary liquid. Pour a couple of pints of cold water over the sweet pulp, give it a sloosh around and strain that off too. You can add yeast and nutrient and start it off in your demijohn but only three quarters fill it for now or it will be out of the airlock and going everywhere. When you're sure it's not going to overflow, top up with cooled boiled water.

cheers moley!!

gonna get the rhubarb in the freezer and start this recipe this weekend - will keep you updated!!

rick
add a couple of tins of gooseberries then you will have a good batch

managed to get my rhubarb wine on last weekend but haven`t had time to post it yet!

only had enough rhubarb for 1 gallon :(

here is my recipe/method - thanks for the input!

Rhubarb Wine

To make 1 gallon

2kg Rhubarb
1.4kg Sugar
2tsp Pectolase
1tsp All purpose wine yeast
1tsp Yeast nutrient

Method

Wash and cut the rhubarb into chunks, freeze overnight and then the next day defrost in a bucket or FV.
When it has defrosted add the sugar and leave for 24 - 36 hours.
Strain the rhubarb liquor into a demi-john, add some cold water to the rhubarb and swill around to remove
all of the liquid - add this to the demijohn. Top the demi-john up with water - but only 3/4 fill as when
fermentation starts it may overflow!
Also add the pectolase, yeast and nutrient. Fit an airlock.
When the fermentation has slowed down top the demi-john up with cooled boiled water.

I added the zest of two oranges and juice of four to the defrosted rhubarb as i have made a tasty rhubarb and orange cordial before (and drank it with vodka!!) :grin:

It`s been fermenting like crazy since i put it on - must have been sunday night - still not even a second between bubbles on the airlock- blub,blub,blub,blub,blub,blub,blub,blub,blub,blub,blub,blub!!!!

here are some pics, from rhubarb in the garden to demi-john!

rhubarb plants

[image removed - please upload via an image host if you would like to re-add]

picked and washed rhubarb

Rhubarb20picked.jpg

after a couple of days i topped up with water and it`s ticking along nicely - hope you like the post and recipe!!

will update in the future!!

Topped20up20-20going20for20it.jpg

Looking good and great post...let us know how this turns out with the taste, i did a rhubarb and orange wine, but the taste is a bit..odd, one to mix with lemonade that one, unless it matures in the bottle!!
:)

quick update on the rhubarb wine!!

its stopped fermenting a few days ago - i racked it tonight and took a hydro reading which was right down to 0990 - it started around 1095 so should be around 14% i reckon. It`s really cleared and tastes great too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back