Rhubarb Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinBase

Reaction score
Hi folks

after making some great rhubarb wine last year, i started making another 2 gallons on friday, after cooling, adding pectolase and leaving for 24 hrs I had a blonde moment and have just piched the yeast without straining the liquid off the must first (as i did last year). If i give it a week or so in the bucket and then strain it off the fruit before racking into demijohns will this make any difference or affect the wine at all?. I would hope not, as leaving the fruit in there for 5 days or so in primary fermentation is what i do for my other wines such as cherry, or should i strain immediately and maybe re-pitch the yeast to be sure? i feel i may be being a tad overcautious asking this, but the missus told me she wanted it EXACTLY like it was last time lol, and i suppose so do i :), so dont want anything too radically different

Thanks.
Bob

Its called a pulp fermentation,The most common method of extraction.
It will have a stronger flavour so it wont be exactly the same as last years effort.

But there is nothing stopping you from straining this lot off asap to try to replicate last years taste.
No you wont need to re-pitch the yeast,That will simply be carried over with the rest of your must.

HI John

I sorta suspected & hoped as much, but as long as it doesnt leave any off taste i guess i'll live with it and strain when fermentation dies down, you never know it may even taste better lol. as far as the yeast goes, i had only just pitched it when i posted the topic, and as it was still floating on top i didnt want to strain it away with the fruit and leave nothing if someone replied and said i really need to strain straight away before it had time to get going, but this morning it's bubbling like like a good 'un. Thanks for the kind reply.

Hi folks

after making some great rhubarb wine last year, i started making another 2 gallons on friday
Hi Bob, I'm thinking of giving Rhubarb a go (as well as Elderberry & Rosehip 😂)

What quantities of rhubarb & sugar did you use ?

Hi Colin

below is the qty and method i use. i think ive got all steps down, if you are unsure about anything or have any comments just ask.

FYI i tried a bottle of last years about a month after 5mth conditioning and 6 weeks in the bottle. it was perfectly acceptable, but after 6 months in the bottle was so much better. the recipe below has bits i pinched from all over and works for me.

Rhubarb Wine 2 Gallon + Topup
  • 3.2kg Rhubarb (8 x 400g packets from Morrisons at 99p each)
  • 9ltr water
  • 3lb brewing sugar (I think this makes a cleaner taste but maybe not necessary)
  • 3lb white granulated sugar
  • Large Mug strong black tea using 4 teabags, leave at least 20 mins to stew
  • Gervin GV9 white wine yeast for gooseberry & rhubarb (I used Lalvin k1-v1116 before)
  • 2tsp yeast nutrient
Fri 17th Sept 2021
  • Trim ends off rhubarb, chopped rhubarb into slices and washed
  • Added ½ rhubarb to large pan with 2.5 ltr water, simmer for 30 mins till all broken. Do not boil. My pan won’t take all in one go that’s why I do in 2 half’s
  • Add to sterilised bucket
  • While repeating the above on 2nd half rhubarb, while it’s simmering I mix all the sugar to boiling water in stages (a kettle at a time), then add to bucket
  • Add black Tea (remove teabags lol)
  • Leave to cool overnight
  • NOTE: I personally don’t bother adding Campden or sodmet at this stage. I try minimise the amount I use and don’t think it’s needed at this stage
Sat 18th Sept 2022
  • Mix 4 level teaspoons Pectolase in small glass of tepid ex boiled water, add to must and stir well
  • Hydrometer reading was 1.079
  • Leave 24hrs
Sun 19th Sept 2021
  • Mix yeast nutrient in ex boiled tepid water and add.
  • Stir must well
  • Pitched yeast directly on top of must, no stir afterwards
  • NOTE: previously i strained liquid off at this stage first. but Didn’t this time
  • Leave in fermenting bucket with loose top
Mon 20th Sept 2021
  • Must is Fermenting well, rhubarb formed ‘crust’ on top of liquid so skimmed it off
Next 5-7 Days
  • Stir at least once daily, will continue to skim thick rhubarb crust off top
After 5-7 days when fermentation slows
  • Strain off rhubarb
  • Take hydrometer reading, make 1.030 or less
  • Rack into demijohns and put any excess in 1-2ltr Ltr ex orange juice PET bottle with bubbler (use for topup after racking)
2-3 weeks later when fermentation stopped
  • Take hydrometer reading
  • Add 1/16th tsp sodmet per gallon – I don’t use Campden tablets
  • Rack into clear glass demijohn to condition & use topup to fill demijohns to top.
After 2-3 months
  • Rack off, top up using extra made
After 5-6 months
  • Rack off
  • Add 1/16 sodmet per gallon
  • Add fermentation stopper
  • Leave for a few days
  • Backsweeten
  • Bottle
  • Leave in bottle for min 4 months before drinking. Finished abv will be around 11%

Last edited:
Cheers Bob, that's pretty extensive thank you. Be printing that one off for my file 👍

Thanks both.

i always try document each batch, just in case i need to make it again, and a crib sheet avoids me forgetting something, not that it worked this time :) but im skimming the rhubarb off the top of the must each morning, and will use a coarse then fine straining bag when ready to rack at the end of the week.

btw i made a typo, the yeast i used this time was Gervin GV9 white wine yeast, not GV3, i have edited the recipe

GL

Bob

Latest posts

Back