Ribena wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This -
youngs-super-wine-yeast-60-gram.jpg

The only one that does not have preservatives seems to be the ready to drink cartons as it says - Blackcurrant Juice from Concentrate (6%) or am i getting this all wrong?

a55555555555.jpg

That's the one that I posted the link to ;)

I don't think you are getting it wrong. I believe a lot of people use the concentrate, but I also believe the reason that this all started was because the original person didn't realise there was a non-additive "fresh" option with ribena.

I always use non-preservative juice where I can :)

Is this the ready to drink from the carton Ribena as it says from Concentrate (6%) if you add 3.5 litres of water to to make a gallon in the DJ it is it not very watery?

Chippy_Tea said:
Is this the ready to drink from the carton Ribena as it says from Concentrate (6%) if you add 3.5 litres of water to to make a gallon in the DJ it is it not very watery?

You don't add water to it, you just brew it as is :)

Chuck it into the DJ, add sugar to strength required, add nutrient, tannin & yeast, job done.

what should this level out to??
Started it off at 1.118 now at .50 after 5 weeks....still airlock active and bubbles rising in the DJ...thought would be nearly done by now?? sat at average 18oc

Last one I did stopped at 1.000, it took around 4 weeks to ferment but I did mine from the cartons.

Started it off at 1.118 now at .50 after 5 weeks....still airlock active and bubbles rising in the DJ...thought would be nearly done by now?? sat at average 18oc

I was going to ask the same question but of the members who have made the standard (boil it first) type Ribena wine.

If it finishes at 1.000 am i right in i assuming it will be like a sweet wine therefore no need to back sweeten.

Chippy_Tea said:

I was going to ask the same question but of the members who have made the standard (boil it first) type Ribena wine.

If it finishes at 1.000 am i right in i assuming it will be like a sweet wine therefore no need to back sweeten.

thats what i have made and just wondered how much longer really

ScottM said:
Mine finished at 0.993, stopping at 1.000 is fairly early for a wine.

Scott i have been told in another forum i will be lucky if it gets down to 1.020 - 1.010 as the preservatives will finish fermentation early so assumed anything below 1.000 was wishful thinking, i am glad to know it will get lower than that.

Chippy_Tea said:
ScottM said:

Scott i have been told in another forum i will be lucky if it gets down to 1.020 - 1.010 as the preservatives will finish fermentation early so assumed anything below 1.000 was wishful thinking, i am glad to know it will get lower than that.

Bare in mind that I used the fresh stuff (preservative free). The boiling should have killed off the preservatives though, so there shouldn't really be anything stopping you getting fairly low :)

Leeds Chimp said:
ScottM said:

how long did that take roughly??

Around a week-10 days IIRC. It took a lot longer than my summer wines anyway as the 18 degree temp really slowed things down. I normally see around 22 on my LCD thermometer strips during the summer months.

ScottM said:
Leeds Chimp said:
ScottM said:

how long did that take roughly??

Around a week-10 days IIRC. It took a lot longer than my summer wines anyway as the 18 degree temp really slowed things down. I normally see around 22 on my LCD thermometer strips during the summer months.
mmmm will have to keep an eye on this one then as its being going 5 weeks already

Leeds Chimp said:
mmmm will have to keep an eye on this one then as its being going 5 weeks already

That'll be the preservatives. They can be a right PITA. You need to seriously boil them off, this is the main reason I go for the fresh cartons rather than the concentrate. I had similar issues with an Oasis wine that I made.

Latest posts

Back