Ribena wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ScottM said:
Leeds Chimp said:
mmmm will have to keep an eye on this one then as its being going 5 weeks already

That'll be the preservatives. They can be a right PITA. You need to seriously boil them off, this is the main reason I go for the fresh cartons rather than the concentrate. I had similar issues with an Oasis wine that I made.

brought upto the boil for 10 mins.....maybe not long enough then in that case....but its still ticking along so will check the OG again in a week

The guide I followed said boil for 10 minutes take off heat add sugar put back on heat then wait until it boils and give it another 5 minutes and of course stir to dissolve the sugar.

Leeds Chimp said:
ScottM said:
[quote="Leeds Chimp":1khjambm]
mmmm will have to keep an eye on this one then as its being going 5 weeks already

That'll be the preservatives. They can be a right PITA. You need to seriously boil them off, this is the main reason I go for the fresh cartons rather than the concentrate. I had similar issues with an Oasis wine that I made.

brought upto the boil for 10 mins.....maybe not long enough then in that case....but its still ticking along so will check the OG again in a week[/quote:1khjambm]

Yeah it will get there, patience is the key :)

Leeds Chimp said:
[quote="Chippy_Tea":10dhcqse]
what should this level out to??
Started it off at 1.118 now at .50 after 5 weeks....still airlock active and bubbles rising in the DJ...thought would be nearly done by now?? sat at average 18oc

I was going to ask the same question but of the members who have made the standard (boil it first) type Ribena wine.

If it finishes at 1.000 am i right in i assuming it will be like a sweet wine therefore no need to back sweeten.

thats what i have made and just wondered how much longer really[/quote:10dhcqse]

Can you keep us posted :thumb:

Look out for pomagranite juice (high fruit content) it makes some truely gorgeous wine!

I started a ribena concentrate wine just under 2 months ago and am still getting airlock activity about every 3 seconds!! Patience is really the key with this wine, did it last year and left it about 7 months before drinking and it was lovely!!

thats what i have made and just wondered how much longer really[/quote]

Can you keep us posted :thumb:[/quote]

Will do :drunk:

yellafella said:
I started a ribena concentrate wine just under 2 months ago and am still getting airlock activity about every 3 seconds!! Patience is really the key with this wine, did it last year and left it about 7 months before drinking and it was lovely!!

not got much of that really as wanted it for my birthday BBQ :party: :party:

might have to wait till next year then :doh:

yellafella said:

Did you use a hydrometer and if so how long did it take to get below 1000.
Did you boil it to get rid of the preservatives?

Yes i boiled it for a good time to get rid of the preservatives and I tend to calculate how much sugar in at start and then leave till it stops, We like our wine dry so I dont tend to bother checking it, but if I need to know how much alcohol then I will check FG. That being said a quick taste and you can tell if it is too sweet and has a stuck fermentation but I have been lucky and not had this in nearly 2 years of brewing

2 months ago and am still getting airlock activity about every 3 seconds

I took the original reading and it was 1098, i will give it a couple of weeks and take another and update the thread.

Latest posts

Back