Rice hulls (or oat husks)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking at ways to increase my mash efficiency with my GF and wondered if adding rice hulls to my mash might help. Ive never tried them before as I have never had a stuck sparge. I like stronger beers so am often using a higher grain bill than is ideal with GF, I have done a couple of re-iterated mashes for grain bills around 9kg but often I use about 7kg which would be 3.5kg for each mash and I would prefer to get better efficiency doing a single mash. I do stir the grain 3-4 times during the mash which helps, I also mill my own grain and seem to have found a good crush size.

I have read a bit about rice hulls and fancy giving it a try. Is this likely to increase my efficiency? How do I use them, do I just mix in 5% of total grain bill and mill all together or do I not need to mill them?

I am getting an order ready with theMaltMiller and they dont have rice hulls but have oat husks instead, are these basically the same?

Cheers for any advice

It might do, Gordon Strong recommends adding a few hundred grams into every mash although in his case I believe it's more for the purpose of getting a more even temperature distribution. I only tend to use them if I have a lot of rye malt or similar but never noticed if it affects effeciency. Also rice hulls and oat husks can be used interchangeably.

Latest posts

Back