Rice hulls

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyde05

Reaction score
Hi guys , had a nightmare yesterday with a stuck sparge , I brewed a wheat beer . Going to use rice hulls from now on . I just wanted to know in what quantity I should use them?
thanks

I use Oat hulls/husks as my supplier does not do rice hulls and use about 100grams per brew but if you are using a lot of porridge oats or rye you may need a little more. I also use them in virtually every brew just to aid run off when sparging
In your wheat issue I would use 200gms at least and try to layer them in handfuls as you are mashing in so as to separate the mash if possible or mix them into the grain bill before mashing in
Ps you can also mix them in with your hops if using a hop spider to aid hop utilisation with better flow

Coming from a country which produces a lot of rice, I would treat with caution using rice hulls which are not washed. Rice is a cereal crop which cops its fair share of fungicide and pesticide throughout it's growth. Not exactly sure if it also gets a dose of weed killer to kill it and stop its growth as it becomes ripe for harvesting. It is the hulls where the chemicals sit, using rice hulls for fodder by law it must be washed, before processing.
Would only take a few minutes to put the hulls in a colander and give them a good rinse.

Brilliant thanks for the advice guys . I never thought about using them in my hop spider aswell as that was a bit of an issue aswell yesterday. I will try with some oat hulls first . Thanks

Back