Quantcast

Ridiculous ebay homebrew listings

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Janulka098

Reaction score
Thank you very much- nylon bag- just what I needed. Got two- one large and one small. :)
Another silly eBay listings are for empty/ used screw top wine bottles... I am not sure who would buy this

jjsh

Landlord.
Reaction score
My mate, who is a mechanic type of chap, would often come down the boozer on a Friday night with tales of woe of buying large vehicles on eBay whilst drunk on a Saturday night in. Fire engine, army truck and some kind of tracked snow vehicle were just some I can remember.

As for eBay sellers taking the p**s; Mangrove Jack's yeast? £2.80ish at most homebrew shops. On eBay;

Screenshot_20200815_211809_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
On the subject of Grolsch bottles, does anyone use the 1½ litre "magnum" bottles. They used to knock them out for £4 a throw at Tesco, but that was a long time ago. I think I've got some somewhere. Must press them back into service.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
Or else the product is cheap, and your mind boggles from the shipping price!
I think eBay have cut down on that now. Certainly the last time I listed things it gave me an upper limit I was allowed to charge for postage.

I remember back in the 00s I used to get dodgy football shirts from Thailand/China on eBay for £0.01 and £10 postage. Seller didn’t offer combined shipping.

TheOsprey

Brewing Bad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still see endless listings for things where they have a price, but that's the cheapest of the 14 options.

Starting from £4.99, if you just want the case.

Applesnmore

Reaction score
My mate, who is a mechanic type of chap, would often come down the boozer on a Friday night with tales of woe of buying large vehicles on eBay whilst drunk on a Saturday night in. Fire engine, army truck and some kind of tracked snow vehicle were just some I can remember.

As for eBay sellers taking the p**s; Mangrove Jack's yeast? £2.80ish at most homebrew shops. On eBay;

View attachment 31075
True, listing overpriced.
My local hbs only stocks youngs yeast and alcotec turbo yeast.
Mainly sells kits limited loose stuff so internet it is.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
Aberdeen?
I actually had no idea there was one in Aberdeen. That’s interesting to know since I’m meant to be up there next May for Book of Mormon.

I was referring to Brewstore in Edinburgh. According to Google I’m exactly 68.7miles from both cities but Brewstore is about a mile closer to my house than the Aberdeen shop.

Last edited:

phildo79

Reaction score
Can't you get 3 Grolsch for £5 in most supermarkets? So that's 3 bottles that have actual beer in them for a fiver or 3 empties for £15 (postage included)! I am only after giving away about 70 Grolsch bottles. Perhaps I will ask for them back.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
Can't you get 3 Grolsch for £5 in most supermarkets? So that's 3 bottles that have actual beer in them for a fiver or 3 empties for £15 (postage included)! I am only after giving away about 70 Grolsch bottles. Perhaps I will ask for them back.
They stopped selling Grolsch in the UK at the start of the year, so maybe the bottles are now a collectors item!

-Bezza-

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have loads of Grolsch bottles which I'm not using. Perhaps I'll start selling them on eBay!

Hagrid

Reaction score
Or else the product is cheap, and your mind boggles from the shipping price!
That’s because eBay only charge fees on the listing price and not the shipping costs. But they force you to post for free so they encourage and entice you.

MartinF

Reaction score
That’s because eBay only charge fees on the listing price and not the shipping costs. But they force you to post for free so they encourage and entice you.
Not really correct anymore: ebay has been adding the postage cost to the final price and listing fees for some time now.