RIP Alan Minter.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I remember seeing him box back in the day when you could watch sport free on T.V.

1599755880465.png

British boxing legend and former world champion Alan Minter has died at the age of 69.

Minter, who won a bronze medal at the 1972 Olympics in Munich, claimed the undisputed world middleweight title against Italian Vito Antuofermo in Las Vegas in 1980.
After he won a rematch against Antuofermo, Minter lost the title to Marvin Hagler inside three rounds at Wembley Arena later that year.

Minter had been suffering from cancer.

He experienced tragedy during his career, when Italian Angelo Jacopucci died as a result of injuries sustained in their European title fight in 1978.

If I remember he was called Boom Boom Minter as he made a noise when he punched and if a recollect he was disqualified in 1 fight for doing it or was I dreaming whilst reminiscing

I remember watching that Antuofermo Vegas fight. I think I was 9 at the time. The first time I'd really seen a full fight. We watched it on a tiny black and white portable telly in my mates bedroom, where we had to keep adjusting the arial on top to get a better picture. What a battle though!! And 15 rounds in those days!!

A true British boxing Legend - Alan Minter RIP

If I remember he was called Boom Boom Minter as he made a noise when he punched and if a recollect he was disqualified in 1 fight for doing it or was I dreaming whilst reminiscing
I think he got a point deducted for making a noise while punching.
Is Gypsy Johnny Frankham still alive, he was about that era or earlier.

Latest posts

Back