RIP Citra Cryo Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never used Cryo hops. Is the powder any better than pellets?

I got some Cryo ekuanot and tried a smash with it seemed pretty good to me, not sure I could give much to qualify whether they are better or not as I never used non cryo eukanot.. the beers is nice (still early doors)

Cryo hops have been made for years, but into (concentrated) type 45 pellets, (freeze the hops, separate the lupulin glands from the flower, then, by adding leaf material back into the Lupulin glands, pellet can be made. Because the alpha/resin content is so high in the cryo powder, you cannot make pellet out of it, hence remaining as powder.
The powder Cryo didn't mix well in beer, being so oily and the lupulin glands being whole, would stick together and not mix. If you make a more concentrated pellet, by adding some (less) leaf back, when they are pressed the lupulin gland breaks and oozes its content into the returned leaf, hence delivering better aroma as they mix better, the leaf (petal) acting as a carrier. They now are basically a type 30 hop, adding less leaf back to a type 45.
WBR
Hoppy

Latest posts

Back